Thread: (wip) sinuous

(wip) sinuous

In the past I have had people ask to see my Embellishing processes here's some photos of my latest WIP "Sinuous"
    So the third section front side is rough carved two more to go before flipping it over and doing the back side. I have also started on the base for this project so there will be no need for a plate stand, I dislike those anyway bought or made.
    There will be some pyrography on this piece just how much I've not determined at this point. There is still a great deal of work yet to do on this piece.
    It is a 12" D Teak bowl with a embellished Cherry rim here is some photos of a few of the hand tools I used. And of my own hand drawn design template on card stock I traced on to the rim. All the work is hand done I do use a Dremel w/ flex shaft and burs & drill bits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Bruce, that is such a difficult pattern that I would be proud to just post the drawing. Beautifully realized it is a marvel .

Bruce,
    Thanks for posting. Nice detail. So you say you "hand drill" those starter holes? With what; a pen vice? I'm trying to teach my self to carve. While I have the power carvers, I too prefer hand tools. But for start holes, I surely would cheat with a micromachine drill.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Bruce,
    Thanks for posting. Nice detail. So you say you "hand drill" those starter holes? With what; a pen vice? I'm trying to teach my self to carve. While I have the power carvers, I too prefer hand tools. But for start holes, I surely would cheat with a micromachine drill.
    Tom thank you I used two drill sizes 1/8" 1/16" in my flex shaft on my Dremel then cut with a coping saw blade mounted in a dowel for a handle between the holes and into the small corners then carve with knives & gouges.

Beautiful work Bruce. I envy those who can carve like that. I'm terrible at it. I really like using the odd number of repeat in the pattern around the piece.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Beautiful work Bruce. I envy those who can carve like that. I'm terrible at it. I really like using the odd number of repeat in the pattern around the piece.
    Thank you very much Brian most people wouldn't even notice that there is 5 of the patterns repeated around the rim, there is always odd numbers in nature.

Outstanding craftsmanship...thank you for showing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jardin View Post
    Outstanding craftsmanship...thank you for showing.
    Thank you John thanks for commenting.