Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebony alternative

Ebony alternative

I’m building a cabinet with frame and panel front and sides. I’d like to have very black frames that I can finish the same way I finish the panels. Probably with Osmo.

I’m thinking of making the frames out of Maple, dye with India Ink, sand again, India Ink again, and then finish.

is this the best alternative?

White oak will go almost black with a really strong iron acetate solution. If you want it to go as dark as possible use some strong tea on the wood first then do iron acetate.
    Last edited by Thomas Eustis; 03-01-2021 at 1:45 PM.

Rubio Monocoat's Intense Black Pre-color will take anything to pure black (even maple, if it's water-popped). It's what it was designed for, and works more efficiently than India Ink imo. And simpler than making a solution.

I've used Fiebing's Leather Dye to turn ash black, it worked great. It soaks in fast, too, and dries fast.

Leather dye has become my go-to for getting something very black.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Leather dye has become my go-to for getting something very black.
    Can you buff it after you dye it? I'm thinking ebony plugs and splines for G&G.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Can you buff it after you dye it? I'm thinking ebony plugs and splines for G&G.
    I haven't tried that specifically, but you'd want it clear coated as it's alcohol soluble...at least the Angus brand I use it. I originally bought it for guitar work, but use it to do a windsor-like chair made from a combination of reclaimed chestnut and white oak. It turned out stellar. I clear coated it with matte waterborne.
    --

The handle on this chisel hammer is soft maple with India ink and a coat of clear semi gloss poly spray. It looks quite a bit like ebony.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

One think to keep in mind is that real ebony isn't isn't a bland black color normally...it has grain and color variations in many cases. But that's not something that's easy to duplicate with "ebonization", regardless of how it's done. If the end game is "black" or dark brown wood accents, ebonized material will work fine...it just needs to be protected a little because the color is only "skin deep".
    --

I've only used black ink on softwood and only top coated it with water borne poly but I have been very happy with the results. I would try a small offcut with the ink + Osmo combination but I think it will work. The water borne poly disolves a little of the ink but it doesn't dissolve enough to affect the deep black color. If you look close, you can still see grain and any knots but everything is pretty uniformly black. That is what I wanted. Since Osmo is not water borned, it may not remove any ink but, on the other hand, you rub it on and that may move the ink around some. But my guess is it will work.

This was General Finishes Wood Stain, Black.

Rob, the handle on the hammer looks like what I’m trying to achieve.

I also looked up Rubio black and it’s very expensive. General finishes makes something similar which is much cheaper. Hard to tell on Chris’ picture, but it looks right.

I think I would try one of those two methods before I try the leather dye.

Thanks!

Try some ammonia on oak and leave it in a sealed container for a week to fume the oak. A five gallon bucket that held chlorine tablets is ideal. Or an olive barrel. Much easier to find a h2o and ammonia solution then anhydrous. Also much cheaper. Just realize it will raise the grain. The longer you leave it the darker it will get. and the deeper in it will go.
    In my limited experience overnite the colors will go in about 1/8"
    Bil lD.

Found this site for photos.
    https://ukrainedc.com/bog-oak-natural-fumed-oak/

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...arts-131467584
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-01-2021 at 7:12 PM.

I have used Transtint, and India ink. Both work fine.