Thread: Walnut Mailbox

Walnut Mailbox

Built a new mailbox, and filled the old mailslot with spray foam. During the winter we used to get some brutal cold air through it. The rest of the house is 100 years old, so the front door is also drafty, but fixing that will take more time.

Materials are solid walnut for 5 sides, and a 3/4" plywood back. I was concerned about wood movement, since this is going to live outside, so I used the plywood to hopefully off set some of that, and attached the other sides to the plywood with dowels and glue.

Finish is 4 coats of General Finish's 450 exterior via a HVLP spray gun.

PXL_20210228_193717312.jpgPXL_20210228_193733316.jpgPXL_20210228_193720138.jpgPXL_20210228_210213377.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew More; 03-01-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    Nice looking mailbox. Hopefully the postman will use it since it an official postmaster approved box.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Nice looking mailbox. Hopefully the postman will use it since it an official postmaster approved box.

Wow, I had no idea that was even a thing! I'll let you know how that works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post

Didn't see the delivery, but no problem getting the mail. Honestly, the last one was at knee height, and this one is about chest level. Our mailman is probably in his 60s, so my guess is that he's grateful to not have to deal with the old knuckle buster anymore.

What I read is the mail box had to be approved by Post Master. “I think a mob made up by a bunch of guys ....all carrying their favorite
    mail boxes ....could git that law changed ! Whaduh ya’ say?”
    ( each mob member mumbles something different...and unintelligible)

For years I thought walnut was strictly for ‘ good to best’ interior work. Was surprised to hear that it was also durable ,and used by country
    folk for practical things that had to be right out in sun and rain. But no sap wood was allowed in those pieces, it rots fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    What I read is the mail box had to be approved by Post Master. “I think a mob made up by a bunch of guys ....all carrying their favorite
    mail boxes ....could git that law changed ! Whaduh ya’ say?”
    ( each mob member mumbles something different...and unintelligible)
    I asked my neighbor who retired as a mail carrier. She said the regulations she knew of were for road-side mailboxes so a rural carrier could reach the box from the vehicle. There are specs on how high the box needs to be from the ground and I think the distance from the curb, if there is a curb. (no curbs around here!)

Never heard of rules about something mounted on the house for walk-up delivery. Maybe something without a vicious animal chained to it would be preferable.

John, that makes sense. But a few years back I looked up the rules .... and they do exist! Heard stories about people not getting mail and
    then contacting postal service and EVENTUALLY getting a reply that their mail box was not “compliant”. Some store -bought mail boxes have,
    or used to have approved by P.O. stamped on them.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Never heard of rules about something mounted on the house for walk-up delivery.
    Even if there are rules, I doubt they'd get enforced here. I live in a city of 100 year or older buildings, that has been predominantly blue collar for a few decades. Between the 100 year old solutions, like my previous mail slot, and people rigging up things that just work, I'm sure my mail carrier could tell some stories about goofy stuff people have used as mail boxes over the years.

John, that makes sense. But a few years back I looked up the rules .... and they do exist! Heard stories about people not getting mail and
    then contacting postal service and EVENTUALLY getting a reply that their mail box was not “compliant”. Some store -bought mail boxes have,
    or used to have approved by P.O. stamped on them.
    That's interesting! In prior searching I didn't find anything but just now I looked harder I found something that indicated mail boxes may be under local authority.

This has a section on wall-mounted boxes:
    https://residential-mailboxes.net/la...tial-mailboxes

"The U.S. Postal Service does not govern wall mount
    boxes; however, you should notify your local mail carrier
    before installation to ensure proper placement of the
    mailbox and check for any local codes or regulations
    governing placement of the box.

The product should operate easily, and nothing should
    obstruct the opening and closing of the lid.

TIP: Also check with your homeowner’s association to
    see if they have any association by-laws which you
    need to comply with."

Something else said to check with the post office because they may have special rules in some areas.

I think the old Uncle Sam ownership of mailboxes probably came about to better prosecute thieves . Lot of people used to send cash by
    mail. But now most thieves prefer work in the comfort of their own place via the computer. It’s a “bullet proof” way to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Even if there are rules, I doubt they'd get enforced here. I live in a city of 100 year or older buildings, that has been predominantly blue collar for a few decades. Between the 100 year old solutions, like my previous mail slot, and people rigging up things that just work, I'm sure my mail carrier could tell some stories about goofy stuff people have used as mail boxes over the years.
    Andrew, its a nice piece and I’m sure the postman will be proud to use it . But any drug seeking wanderers will be pretty annoyed when they
    find no razor blades , no band-aids and no Listerine !! You might even be awakened by someone saying “sure looked like a liquor cabinet
    to me !!”

Andrew, its a nice piece and I’m sure the postman will be proud to use it . But any drug seeking wanderers will be pretty annoyed when they
    find no razor blades , no band-aids and no Listerine !! You might even be awakened by someone saying “sure looked like a liquor cabinet
    to me !!”
    LOL, isn't it amazing how fetishized drug use is sometimes? You're absolutely right this looks more like a liquor cabinet or humidor than a mailbox!

That looks more like fine furniture than a mail box.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    That looks more like fine furniture than a mail box.
    Thanks! I'm pretty new so I wanted a small project to practice on before ruining large boards. I had originally planned to make it even smaller, but got to thinking about packages and the like.