Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Awesome hand tool discovered: Wera "Joker"

I like the UPS idea. Means you've got hot water when the power goes out, regardless of whether you have a freeze problem. It's also easily tested. A lot of backup systems in consumer installations fail when called on because they don't get tested regularly. A UPS is easily tested once every 6 months or so to prove you've got protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I learned something, water heaters outside, I've never seen that where I live.............Thanks Erik..................Regards, Rod.
    In the south/warmer areas, it's not uncommon for tankless water heaters to be installed outside because it completely eliminates the venting challenge that can come with many homes. Most manufacturers carry models that are designed for this purpose. Clearly, the unusual weather in Texas thwarted things for folks like Erik because the outdoor units are not designed for use in areas where freezing temperatures occur. That backup battery is an interesting thing to help with occasional odd situations, however!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gang, I think that UPS is the ticket. He describes it here:

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Wouldn't the lines freeze even if the tank had a battery to keep it from freezing? Totally different world down there. Around here very few people don't have a way to keep their house warm in case the power is out for an extended time. I can remember the run on portable generators when we had an ice storm in the late 90s that took out power for much of New England. I assume that they couldn't be bought down there which is why so many were using power even though they knew the price was through the roof.

Alex: Yes, they might freeze but we have all PEX and I've never had one burst (even in this last cold spell). The water heater is the #1 worry.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Also, there's no tank here...it's the coils in the unit that would be "more likely" to survive if the unit can be kept active. Of course, having active water flow that is high enough to kick on the heating would help with that, too, so some water waste might occur, but that's less expensive than a $1000 water heater.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That tool reminds me of an angle pipe wrench for getting into tight spaces.
    Bill D