Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitchens

Let me add another question to my kitchen thread. What is a good counter top material used these days. There is no center island. Just wall area.
    John T.

I love good wall paper ,especially the “fantasy flower” patterns of 18th and early 19th century. But it’s too beautiful and expensive to
    allow it to be used in the kitchens of those of us who like fried food. Never looked thru the patterns of the vinyl stuff. If I saw a good one
    then I would say “vinyl wall covering in a kitchen is good !
    I like the idea of having one wall with no furniture,stove ,sink, or fridge; that could be hung with a custom mural . Having one for each
    season would be even better.

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    For MY money, the best value is still regular old "Formica" (aka laminate). There are tons of colors and patterns and the stuff can last for 20-30 years. My current kitchen has Corian - great stuff, but definitely more expensive. The nice thing about solid surface materials is that you can have an undermount sink (among other benefits). My personal favorite is soapstone - relatively easy to DIY and it looks and feels great, but you have to accept that it will acquire a patina of use over the years.

soap stone might look good but I had a guy say they had it some years and ripped it out, then a real estate said the same. Id do some research before using that, I do like the look.

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    Warren,

I agree that soapstone isn't necessarily for everyone. I installed soapstone counters in the kitchen and one bathroom in my last home. There are different types of soapstone with different colors and characteristics, just like other natural stone counter materials. And it can require more maintenance and care than most other counter top materials. But the look and feel...just fantastic.
    soapstone.JPG
    Last edited by Dave Seng; 03-03-2021 at 9:44 AM. Reason: fixed spelling and added photo

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Let me add another question to my kitchen thread. What is a good counter top material used these days. There is no center island. Just wall area.
    In our current home, we have soapstone in the kitchen and honed/antiqued granite for surfaces in our addition. (master bath, guest bath, wetbar) The new-to-us house has "shiny" granite. Aside from the fact that soapstone can get damaged and needs periodic maintenance, I really love the surface...it's soft to the touch, cleans up easy and is NOT shiny...we prefer that. It was fabricated on-site with regular woodworking tools in the driveway. For durability, the honed granite has a very similar look but it's a harder, more durable surface, yet is not as slippery as the more common polished granite.

There are actually a lot of really nice countertop materials these days...it comes down to budget.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I consider wallpaper old fashioned I think it went out when interior latex paint came in around 1950. That said some wallpaper is shown in art museums. No relation to this Dufour but I know there is some at the museum of the legion of honor in San Francisco. That is a real museum with sculptures by Rodan etc. not some modern art junk.
    Bill Dufour

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Dufour_et_Cie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Honor_(museum)

I had no idea they have a famous? commode in their collection.
    https://art.famsf.org/pierre-langloi...mode-198558a-b
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-06-2021 at 1:06 AM.

I found that quartz countertops are not that expensive installed, at least for my small kitchen with no island. I went with Silestone from Home Depot. I used one of the less expensive colors, but it still looks nice. Total was $2,006. I had to do something as the sink was literally going to fall through the laminate countertop due to water issues the previous owners never took care of.