Thread: General Finishes WB dye stain

General Finishes WB dye stain

Has anyone used it? It gets good reviews on Amazon, but I can't find any mention of it here on SMC. I have tinted GF topcoats with Transtints but the results are kind of inconsistent and I'm looking for something with better coverage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Has anyone used it? It gets good reviews on Amazon, but I can't find any mention of it here on SMC. I have tinted GF topcoats with Transtints but the results are kind of inconsistent and I'm looking for something with better coverage.

Thanks
    As in this product line : https://generalfinishes.com/wood-fin...ased-dye-stain

I have used them. For me they worked pretty much like Transtint mixed with water. Except for one small difference, it seemed to me there was a little bit of a binder agent in these cans. After getting some faint lap-lines because I wasn't working fast enough or had enough stain in the sponge it was a little more trouble to go back and fix vs. Transtint in distilled water.

But otherwise I found it to be about the same as far as working time or use. I don't recall doing a very detailed cost analysis but I think the TransTint worked out a little cheaper just because of shipping.

Edit to add:
    And I just noticed they have a "dye stain reducer" product with a disclaimer to NOT use water to reduce their water borne dye stains. This sort of re-enforces to me that they have other stuff in the can beside the dye and water...

I have not tried spraying the GF stuff but TransTint in distilled water sprays great and I can use water to "thin" the color.
    Last edited by Rob Young; 03-01-2021 at 11:48 AM.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

In what way are your results putting Transtint in your topcoat inconsistent? Maybe addressing that is worth discussing.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Young View Post
    As in this product line : https://generalfinishes.com/wood-fin...ased-dye-stain

I have used them. For me they worked pretty much like Transtint mixed with water. Except for one small difference, it seemed to me there was a little bit of a binder agent in these cans. After getting some faint lap-lines because I wasn't working fast enough or had enough stain in the sponge it was a little more trouble to go back and fix vs. Transtint in distilled water.

But otherwise I found it to be about the same as far as working time or use. I don't recall doing a very detailed cost analysis but I think the TransTint worked out a little cheaper just because of shipping.

Edit to add:
    And I just noticed they have a "dye stain reducer" product with a disclaimer to NOT use water to reduce their water borne dye stains. This sort of re-enforces to me that they have other stuff in the can beside the dye and water...

I have not tried spraying the GF stuff but TransTint in distilled water sprays great and I can use water to "thin" the color.
    Thanks, this is exactly the information I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    In what way are your results putting Transtint in your topcoat inconsistent? Maybe addressing that is worth discussing.

John
    Probably more a matter of spraying technique and gun settings. It also takes a lot of trial and error to get the proportions correct.