Thread: Turning a bathroom into a refrigerator with a window A/C unit

Turning a bathroom into a refrigerator with a window A/C unit

Long story short, I've got some projects coming up where I need to maintain a consistent temp around 45 F for a few days. Only way I know how to do that is in a fridge, or possibly by turning my extra 1/2 bath (small) into a cooler using a window a/c unit.

I think most window a/cs now a days have thermostat control and some of them are digital. I'm thinking I'll need one with some kind of non-digital dial type control. Rewire the thermostat to remain a closed circuit so that the a/c cools whenever it gets power. Then put a separate thermostat in-line with the power cord and control the temp that way.

Questions are... Anyone see a problem with this setup? I wonder if it would harm an a/c to have ~45 F / 7 C intake air?
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

https://www.storeitcold.com/

Coolbot has you covered.

I would think the evaporater will get coated in ice and no airflow. How is the absolute humidity during this run time? I have seen air handlers ice over when it is 25% rh
    Bill D

can you still rent freezer and refrigerator space at a cold storage place?
    Bil lD

supplement with dry ice?

I'm not sure an AC unit will have a setting as low as 45°.

Blog Entries
    You will have to modify the controls to go that low and there will need to be defrost cycles every several hours to keep the evaporator coil from plugging up. And the defrost process will need heater elements on the coil to melt away the frost, otherwise, it just won't go away. Even in areas of low humidity the coil will plug with frost.

The other issue is what cooling that room will do the the walls. Moisture will build up on the back side of the the wall board and the paper on the wallboard is great food for mold. Isn't Lexington fairly humid? That makes mold in your walls a sure thing.

Unless your are storing dead bodies you might be better off finding a local mom and pop liquor store and paying them a hundred bucks or so to store your items in their cooler.

I know one that will do it for fifty.

Kidding! Just loved John's post.

They might take forty.

Oh wait! We're not talking about dead bodies.

My bad.

I had the same thought Frank expressed - this seems like it will be bad for your bathroom walls.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Last I knew, you want a heated room to grow marijuana.