Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Humidor on legs

The combination of the curves and the stairstep top speaks Art Deco to me. I'd continue to refine the design in that direction. When I saw your sketch here's the first thing I thought of (below)

22e5a27eadb7dbb28227cfb0acce47f2.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

It's a tobacco tabernacle.

*sweet*

I think I'm done until the need arises for a "feature".
    2021-03-29_14h04_02.jpg 2021-03-29_14h03_41.jpg

"tobacco tabernacle" that's funny!
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Well, the need for a "feature" has arisen. It came about because I suddenly realized that I'm old. Who knew?? And getting this from my shop to, well, anywhere else will be a real chore - actually impossible with out help. (SWMBO is 4-11 and 90 pounds, so that's not gonna work). So it needs to be modular. The interior spanish cedar drawer units need to be removable, as does the maple cabinet structure. The base I can move as well as the broke down components. So it looks like screws are going to be the method to hold it all together, with removable backs for easy access.

Are the upper tiered cabinets all one piece - unsupported along the bottom?

If a back panel is tacked on, it will be easier to handle.

If the table base and cabs are attached, a two wheel hand truck might be a safer way to move the works.

Blog Entries
    This piece is coming along great Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Well, the need for a "feature" has arisen. It came about because I suddenly realized that I'm old. Who knew??
    That can't be right. If you're old that would mean that I'm ol . . . ol . . . oh, I get it.

Seriously though. My designs for my own home have morphed to include "how the heck am I gonna get this in there?" factors. Modularity works for me and is easily hid behind frame or trim work, inserts, drawer compartments, etc. Considerations for others have included shipping restraints/conveniences, turns on the stairs at the target destination, and so forth. Keep percolating. It will come.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn - sorry to bring up the age thing - you're still young, but you'll grow out of it. And yes, with the exception of the current humidor, my projects will be getting smaller. One of the reasons I didn't pop for a large 2k jointer. My bench top limits me to 4' or so. Kinda like a governor on a truck.

Jim - It'll be in 3 sections. The base with a top on it. The upper cabinet with a false bottom and removable back panels. And the spanish cedar inserts. At least that's the plan. But I never forget Sun Tzu's warning that your plan never survives the first encounter with the enemy.

At least that's the plan. But I never forget Sun Tzu's warning that your plan never survives the first encounter with the enemy.
    My enemy is Gravity.
    I'm still waiting on my jetpack.

All writers of fiction will at some point find themselves abandoning a piece of work - or find themselves putting it aside, as we gently say.
    -
    Martin Amis

I suppose we all have encounter a project whose inertia we struggle to overcome. Well, this is the first one for me. The idea started with the walnut fliches I used for the main doors; wood that I had been saving for several years. They were always meant to be used for doors to something - I just didn't know to what. Then the idea of a large, fancy humidor grew after lazily looking at pictures of Krenov cabinets and in my haste I thought: why not? I think I might have even said it out loud, a statement that once uttered invites chaos into my life. And I've uttered it way too many times, but evidently not enough to have learned anything. So it goes....

So I will "put it aside" and see what happens. The good news is I've learned to use sketchup from this project, something I've struggled with in the past but now feel comfortable using, and I developed a few new ways of doing things that will prove valuable in the future. And putting it on the shelf will open much needed space in the shop.

The bad news is that it will always be a bit of unfinished business for me - it will pop up and nag at me in moments of quiet refection. After 37 years of sobriety I've gotten pretty good at letting go of the refuse that floats unbidden into my life, but this, being wholly self inflicted, will be a bit of a challenge.

But hey, at least the decision is made, and truth (of some sort) has won the day. And as Lt. Drebin says "Truth hurts. Not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a missing seat, but it hurts". Think I'll go for a bike ride.....

2021-04-17_11h21_18.jpg

Bill, don’t quite know how to reply - which is why it’s taking me so long to do so - other than I’m sorry to see the momentum petered out. Was looking forward to the rest of the build. I did have a table go on for about a year or so when a few things went wrong and the excitement was gone. Wishing you the best for your next project.

Thanks Phil - just one of those things. Some paying work came in, some honey-dos floated to the top of the barrel, my day job came back for a while, etc. But it's not in the fire pit yet, so who knows.

I'm genuinely looking forward to the restart. This is both unusual and ambitious.

So I started up on this again, and it took up right where I left off. One mistake after another. Even the repairs turned into disasters. For instance, I broke off three screws trying to remove the hinges that I had mortised too deep into the cabinet so the pins could not be removed, and the extractor went out the side of the box. Typical on this one. I've never done a project that came so completely off the f-in rails. So deciding it was over was a relief, and I have no regrets about terminating it. I saved a large chunk of maple from the top and the base, and fortunately I never got further on the legs - QS maple - than to make 4 - 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 blanks 36" long, which I'm sure I'll use somewhere. This was a catharsis, and it's a pleasure to be in the shop again, without this project sitting in the corner, taunting me like a woodworking version of Chuckie. Plus, the last pic is super cool, I think. So there's that.

20210731_200608.jpg 20210731_201206.jpg 20210731_201344.jpg

This was a catharsis, and it's a pleasure to be in the shop again, without this project sitting in the corner, taunting me like a woodworking version of Chuckie.

20210731_200608.jpg 20210731_201206.jpg 20210731_201344.jpg
    I have one on the bench right now. I can understand the feeling. I don't think the CFO will allow me to dispose of it in a similar matter besides, we have a burn restriction right now.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I have one on the bench right now. I can understand the feeling. I don't think the CFO will allow me to dispose of it in a similar matter besides, we have a burn restriction right now.
    Hope yours works out better than mine Ken