Thread: Marking gauge prototype

Marking gauge prototype

I finally got tired of the pin type gauges and decided to make one. Wasn't sure of the shape because I like to hold the beam not body, and I don't like holding work off the edge of the bench to mark lines. Then I saw one that I liked and I copied it. Forget the name. And I couldn't find a suitable blade until I found this 6 dollar marking knife on Amazon. Bought 2 and the steel turns out to pretty hard. I think the real one will be cherry - not sure yet. Or maybe the proto will get used for the next many years.

20210228_124220.jpg 20210228_124213.jpg 20210228_145753.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I like it Bill, white oak? Japanese gauges frequently use white oak. Nice long fence for good registration, yet thin enough ? 5/8 ? 3/4 so you do not have to deal with interference from work table top.

I'll bet you'll like that.
    I made a 4"version out of purpleheart a couple years back.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    I like it Bill, white oak? Japanese gauges frequently use white oak. Nice long fence for good registration, yet thin enough ? 5/8 ? 3/4 so you do not have to deal with interference from work table top.
    Yes, QSWO. And being able to mark with the board flat on the workbench was one of the requirements.

Hi Bill
    No doubt you saw my recent post. Here it is as revised. Works great.

Marking Gauge 3.jpgMarking Gauge 2.jpg

I have one from that very design. Very handy. Nice work!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Hi Bill
    No doubt you saw my recent post. Here it is as revised. Works great.

Marking Gauge 3.jpgMarking Gauge 2.jpg
    No Tom, I missed it somehow. I like your method for capturing the blade. And what did you use for the blade? Thanks for the pics - they are giving me some ideas for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I have one from that very design. Very handy. Nice work!!
    Thx Dennis - I have the blanks cut for 3 more - cherry, walnut and maple. I want one that I can use for dovetail marking so I'm going to try bending a flat bar for the blade so I can drop it on flat on a board for thickness marking.

I've also made a couple of gauges in that style during a time when I needed multiple marking gauges set without disrupting the other settings. I ended up using jigsaw blades as the marking blade and it works wonderfully. I decided to use a thumbnail profile on the bevel and am very happy with it. It tends to ride on the wood better than a pointed blade that can stick if you don't have the gauge tilted at the correct angle.

I believe the design comes from Hamilton marking gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    I've also made a couple of gauges in that style during a time when I needed multiple marking gauges set without disrupting the other settings. I ended up using jigsaw blades as the marking blade and it works wonderfully. I decided to use a thumbnail profile on the bevel and am very happy with it. It tends to ride on the wood better than a pointed blade that can stick if you don't have the gauge tilted at the correct angle.

I believe the design comes from Hamilton marking gauges.
    Yes it's a copy of a Hamilton gauge. ANd I agree about the thumbnail profile. I started with a more pointed blade and it did indeed get caught up in the wood. The thumbnail also tracks the grain less.