Thread: Turbinaire HVLP Spray Unit - Gun Needed

Turbinaire HVLP Spray Unit - Gun Needed

Hello,

I got a new old stock Turbinaire 1250 unit I think its a 3 or 4 stage. I need a gun and hose but i cannot seem to find much information on this unit and i have no experience with spraying.

Does anyone have a gun recommendation? Mainly spraying oil based products. Maybe some house paint here and there.

As you're prob. now aware , Turbinaire is no longer. I believe The Finishing Store has some spare parts.

You do not need Turbinaire hoses or guns to spray. You can use jsut about any HVLP gun designed for a turbine. The best gun of the moment seems to be Apollo's 7700, though good results can be had with any of the top brands. Fuji is good, and lots of pros like Titan and Graco guns. Fuji's hoses seem to get the best reviews form guys.

Now for the bad news.

You've purchased the wrong tool if you want to use oil based paints - especially house paints ! Oil based paints can be used , but heavy thick enamels jsut aren't going to spray well. Especially if you've got a 3 stage unit. The guns are also going to be more difficult and expensive to clean. You should look into waterborne coatings and clearcoats.

I've developed a preference for the Titan/Capspray Maxum II guns. I've got both cup and pressure feed set ups. They're not cheap, but have proven reliable and durable. I particularly like the spray adjustment mechanism, though it might not be for everyone. I can go from vertical to horizontal to cone spray patterns easily while spraying with a quick turn of the nozzle.

I just finished a kitchen cabinet project with the graco edge II plus gun and couldn’t be happier. The turbine is the graco finish pro 9.5, 5 stage, FYI. The gun has excellent control of the spray pattern, as well as independent fluid and air knobs. I guess you’d call the cup design a pressure cup. It uses disposable liners, so you do have some consumables. However, you can Basically spray with the gun upside down if need be.

Thing I like the most though is, needle/ tip changes are tool less. Also simple to break down and clean, again without tools.

Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    As you're prob. now aware , Turbinaire is no longer. I believe The Finishing Store has some spare parts.

You do not need Turbinaire hoses or guns to spray. You can use jsut about any HVLP gun designed for a turbine. The best gun of the moment seems to be Apollo's 7700, though good results can be had with any of the top brands. Fuji is good, and lots of pros like Titan and Graco guns. Fuji's hoses seem to get the best reviews form guys.

Now for the bad news.

You've purchased the wrong tool if you want to use oil based paints - especially house paints ! Oil based paints can be used , but heavy thick enamels jsut aren't going to spray well. Especially if you've got a 3 stage unit. The guns are also going to be more difficult and expensive to clean. You should look into waterborne coatings and clearcoats.

Thanks for the tips. Lets say I want to pait a kitchen. Is this totally the wrong unit? Or is there a paint it can spray suitable for that application?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Stevens View Post
    I just finished a kitchen cabinet project with the graco edge II plus gun and couldn’t be happier. The turbine is the graco finish pro 9.5, 5 stage, FYI. The gun has excellent control of the spray pattern, as well as independent fluid and air knobs. I guess you’d call the cup design a pressure cup. It uses disposable liners, so you do have some consumables. However, you can Basically spray with the gun upside down if need be.

Thing I like the most though is, needle/ tip changes are tool less. Also simple to break down and clean, again without tools.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks! what paint product did you use? Im concnered maybe I can't use mine for paints based on other's comments.

I used SW emerald Urithane. I had a #3 tip in the graco gun and did not have to thin it. Great spray pattern and coverage.

Again however, my new turbine is a 5 stage. I tried it once in my Fuji 2 stage and even after thinning way down it still wouldn’t spray well at all.

It’s a very thick paint.

okay thank you.

its actually a 1537 model. which is a 3 stage with a 7" fan. Claiming it has more output than their 1245, being their 4 stage with a 5" fan. Ill just have to play with it to know im assuming.

thanks for the help

the Titan/Capspray Maxum II gun......... can go from vertical to horizontal to cone spray patterns easily while spraying with a quick turn of the nozzle.
    The 7700 has that feature too, and a finer atomization. The Titan does have a neat stand built into it, though I'm not sure how great that is in the real world. I hang my gun on a hook so the hose is out of the way.

the graco finish pro 9.5, 5 stage, FYI. The gun has excellent control of the spray pattern, as well as independent fluid and air knobs. I guess you’d call the cup design a pressure cup. It uses disposable liners, so you do have some consumables. However, you can Basically spray with the gun upside down if need be.

The Graco turbine is really sweet. The needle changes on the gun are easy too and have the advantage of being relatively inexpensive compared to other makes. The onboard storage in the turbine for them is quite handy. As for the liner system, meh. It's a copy of the 3M PPS system and not as good in my opinion. The 3m has more choices for capacity. And since it can be used with any make of gun, there's no reason to get the graco gun jsut for that. Where the rubber meets the road - they spray pattern / atomization - the Graco falls short of the Apollo 7700.

Thanks for the tips. Lets say I want to pait a kitchen. Is this totally the wrong unit? Or is there a paint it can spray suitable for that application?

It's fine for painting a kitchen if it's a 4 stage unit. 3stg might get it done, but I wouldn't reccommend it.

As far as coatings, I've had good results with KemAqua, Milesi, and lately Renner. General Finishes is a bit easier to work with , but also difficult to find. For the average DIY, it will probably be easier to prime/seal with BIN (the shellac / alcohol kind NOT the waterbased) followed by B. Moore Advanced or S.Williams Emerald. Both will almost certainly need a bit of thinning to spray with your rig.

You might want to touch bases with Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing. He's a great resource (and source) around guns.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Don't use OB anything for a kitchen. The overspray will make a complete mess of everything and it will stink for months in your kitchen. How appetizing. You want WB products. There are many good ones these days. BM's Advance, and SW's ProClassic and Emerald Urethane Trim Paint are all very durable once cured, but they are thick and you will need to thin them, maybe a lot. It's doable but it would likely be a lot easier if you look at WB lacquers instead, as they have lower viscosity, such as TC's EM-6500 which TC will tint to any BM color you want. Lenmar's Duralaq WB and MegaVar WB, sold by BM, are two other WB lacquers worth considering, as are SW's KemAqua+ and Sayerlack HydroPlus.

FWIW, GF's products are widely available on the web. With TC you generally order direct; their CS is very good.

John

Rockler and Woodcraft also carry General Finishes and seem to have most of the line on hand in the stores.