Thread: Electrical problem

Electrical problem

Any ideas on how to track down the source of one of my circuits not working? I have two 4-gang outlets on the circuit, neither of which work. The light that is on the same circuit does work, which I find strange. The breaker has been reset, and I have just a light and dremel tool on the circuit currently. I previously did have my compressor plugged into it, but it worked fine for about a year.

Any suggestions outside of calling the electrician, which I think I am going to have to do.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    Any ideas on how to track down the source of one of my circuits not working? I have two 4-gang outlets on the circuit, neither of which work. The light that is on the same circuit does work, which I find strange. The breaker has been reset, and I have just a light and dremel tool on the circuit currently. I previously did have my compressor plugged into it, but it worked fine for about a year.

Any suggestions outside of calling the electrician, which I think I am going to have to do.
    Is there a GFCI and/or AFCI on the circuit somewhere, that has tripped? If so, that could save you some real money.

Are those two outlet boxes and the one light all that is on that circuit? If so, I would shut off the breaker and open up all of the boxes, including the light switch box, and pull out the devices. With a little detective work, you might be able to work out the circuit diagram. That would be a good step toward determining the source of the problem.

Note well, I am not an electrician.

If you are sure at least one thing is working on that circuit and it’s just a single lever breaker you have a loose or burned wire. Turn off all breakers. I would start by looking in the box where the compressor was plugged in. Don’t forget that it’s possible to have a working receptacle but have the problem in that same box associated with the wires leaving and heading downstream. A three light receptacle tester is a lot of help too but it’s unsafe to handle receptacles with power on and not installed in the box.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 02-28-2021 at 10:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    This relates to another thread in "off topic" on receptacles. Are those receptacle wired with the back stab connections? If so, that may well be the source of your problem and you'll need to pull them all out & connect them & right way

I would be suspicious of the 4 gang wiring. Probably daisy chained together then all shoved into a small box so something pulled loose. First step, use another tool to verify it is not the dremel that has the problem.
    I suppose it may be worth it to plug in an extension cord and use a meter at the breaker to figure out if it is the white or the black wire that is disconnected.
    Bil lD

Before opening up any boxes I would pick up a receptacle tester and check every receptacle.

https://www.amazon.ca/Klein-Tools-RT...48716375&psc=1