Thread: spokeshave or oscillating sander

spokeshave or oscillating sander

Hi there, I'm getting frustrated by hand sanding curves after cutting them on the bandsaw. I love my 3 handplanes so I was thinking about getting a spokeshave like the veritas one but are they good to clean up curves wider than 2" ? In other words, are they limited to thin stock because all the videos I see are people using spokeshaves on thin stocks like wooden spoon, or 3/4" stock.

I like using planes because of the small amount of dust and noise they produce but if an oscillating sander is better suited for that task, I'll go with that

I am trying to get away fro power tools in my shop. So, my answer is slanted that way. For concave curves in thick stock I would use the band saw to make side by side be side cuts down to near the line, hammer off the easy pieces, and then clean up with a good vise, chisel, rasp work, and finish with a spoke shave. I would be using the chisel and mallet for quite a while before I reached for the spoke shave. Sort of like doing a dado or a groove, get everything out you can with the chisel before reaching for a router plane.

I probably can't do a 2" wide surface with my spokeshave, but with a angled cut I could get one inch from each side and have it come out pretty good. Maybe a third finishing pass right down the middle so the high spot in the middle isn't as proud.

Without knowing what you are doing I would be inclined to make the inside of the curve as smooth as possible right on the line - and then bevel the edges and take off the pencil line, last step also with a spoke shave.

I am confident an oscillating sander could do it quicker, and if you want the exposed curve dead smooth and the corners sharp it might be the better choice. I would be a little concerned about end grain chipping out depending on the sander and grit choice.

Blog Entries
    Two inches is a bit wide to clean up with a spoke shave.

Depending on the radius of your curve a Circular plane Stanley models are #13, #20 & #113 may work for you. Most planes can be made to work on a convex surface. It just takes a little finesse and practice. For a concave curve one of the Circular planes may be your best bet.

It might also be helpful to include your location in your profile. You may live near someone who would let you test drive their spokeshaves.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I agree with the above comments, spokeshaves work best on narrower stock. The shave has less mass, and that translates into more chatter. However, I have used spokeshaves on curves wider than 2 inches, both concave and convex. The blade has to be sharp, and with practice, it becomes almost easy.

Depending on grain direction, I would try a properly prepared scraper. One with a nice, sharp burr will cut very cleanly.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Charles,

I am doing something similar now on a cherry desk top.
    I roughed out the curves with a jigsaw. Then used a Veritas curved spokeshave on the concave radius and a Stanley No. 20 on both curves.
    The top is 0.90" thk., a concave radius of 74", and a convex curve of 98".
    The spokeshave works well up to 1 1/2" thickness / width and medium to large radii. The No. 20 works on any width, but only on large radii.
    That said, if I were doing a radius too small for the No. 20 and too thick for the spokeshave, I would use my vertical oscillating spindle sander.
    I do prefer to use hand tools over power whenever it makes sense.

IMG_1274.jpg IMG_1273.jpg

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Phil

If I were faced with this task, I think I would consider my drawknife. I'm pretty sure it would work for radii of 10" and greater. Certainly would do the rough clean up, but I've also been very impressed at how good a finish surface it can produce. I have 4 spoke shaves, the curved bottom one can do curves of about 4" radius, Veritas low angle shave can do about 6" radii. All of these shaves have about 2" wide blades. I'd consider using them on 1-3/4" wide stock, but that would probably be pushing the width.