Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood...

Blood...

It seems like all I have to do is walk by a knife and I start bleeding. As I have gotten older my skin has become thinner, and I'm also on blood thinners. I get little nicks and cuts all the time and never even notice it until I see blood on the project. Today I just finished sanding a pine end table and suddenly noticed a spot of blood on the front carcase edge. I wiped as much off as I could with a wet sponge, but it looks like it'll take a little more sanding. Anyone found a good way to remove blood stains?

Hydrogen peroxide. Like always, test in an inconspicuous area first, but it works for clothes.

Best,

Dave

Dave, I was beginning to believe I was the only one who had to spill some blood on every project. Though I seldom post in the Neander Forum, I do read a lot of posts there. I had never had a problem with the sharp sides on a chisel because prior to buying a Veritas PM-11 bench chisel last year, I had been using some 40 year old Craftsman carpenter's chisels. This afternoon I was paring some tenons on an oak end table I am building for my wife. Sure enough, that Veritas chisel left a few small slices through the palm of my hand that was guiding it. It then had a visit with an old diamond hone I use on my turning tools. It seem to be more behaved then.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Wear gloves maybe? When safe of course.

I feel your pain. My dog licks my wounds every evening.

The aggravating thing is that you never know you've been knicked until it's too late.

Out damned spot.

Oxalic acid removes blood and rust stains. But you need a little experimenting on your wood, or you'll over-bleach and the cure will be worse than the spot.

Also it's winter, which tends to be very dry (colder air takes up less moisture), so our skin tends to be dehydrated, making it thinner / more brittle / more prone to getting nicked.

If I haven't used my hand tools in over a month or so, I start to lose my callouses, and I have to go through the process of toughening up my skin again (which means getting many small cuts).

And of course once you're good at sharpening, your tools will cut you so easily that you can't notice when they do cut you, so there's no warning that blood is flowing onto your work pieces. Like Ken said, you def need to blunt the sides of your chisels if they get sharp or the sides of your fingers will get shredded. Alternatively, you could wrap your fingers with that self-adhesive clingy bandage (this stuff which you can get much less expensively here) all the time, but who is going to remember to do that?

I'd suggest a card scraper and then a little sanding. Buy some higher quality mechanic gloves. They fit really snug on the hands and grip on wood really well.

Same problrm here tissue paper skin on an old bulldozer body.
    The daughter-in-law is a nurse and suggested taking Collagen Peptides. Its available at WALMART and drug stores. Its a tasteless powder you can mix with anything.
    I have been using it for 2 or 3 months and I no longer look like I have lost a knife fight.

Not a fix, but masking tape stops the bleed way better (and quicker) than a band-aid.

45 years ago I worked with a framer who would sign it when he left blood on the work. "It's my damn blood"

Actually a type of cyanoacrylic glue works best on cuts (used to close surgical wounds in hospitals. The brand name is Dermabond). Great stuff, stings for a few seconds, and sloughs off in a few days, but the pain from the cut stops instantly, which is nice.

Amazon sells it, but it is very expensive and they want a medical license or medical business certificate.

There are some far cheaper liquid bandage types for sale. Not a clue how they work. The MSDS of one of them is a plethora of chemicals, but may work just fine for far cheaper. Vet versions too.

YMMV. My $0.02. And yes, it rots to get old.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Leave the blood. It adds character.

I have always managed to leave a little of my DNA on everything that I make, but in these older years and now on blood thinners, my marks are getting harder to disguise.

Charley

Any project that demands a sacrifice will last forever.

I wear the Showa 451 when chopping wood, or handling sheet goods. Good for snow removal, too.

No cuts in the shop while they're on (not a tablesaw or lathe user, me).

Leather gloves for hauling out the local thorned vine.

https://www.amazon.com/showa-atlas-4...howa+atlas+451

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Leave the blood. It adds character.
    I've said that in the OR. It usually elicits a solid glare from the surgeon.

As I've heard, "The abdomen was opened with copious bleeding and somewhat bad language"...
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.