Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Self stacking outfeed for TS?

I make multiples that can run into the hundreds on a regular basis. Stock feeders make everything quicker, safer, and more accurate than hand feeding.

The mini feeders are great. I have had one since 1998, and it's still running. I use it on a 1 1/4" spindle 5 hp shaper. I have a regular stock feeder for big stuff.
    On a saw, I use the mini feeder for running rabbets on a dado blade and ripping moldings off wider boards. I have a bigger feeder on a 14" saw for ripping rough lumber.

The good thing about a feeder on a saw is that one can stand on the side of the saw to feed it, and reach the pieces as they come out. You can feed and catch at the same time. There is no need to walk around the saw, or reach over the blade. The feeder makes a great guard.

Mount the feeder with the hexagonal arm in line with the saw arbor. This will give you the greatest reach.

To set the feeder up, put a 1/4" piece of plywood on a wok piece, and set the feeder body on it. Toe the wheels in 1/4" to the fence. This will set adequate downward pressure. When ripping, the blade can sit between the first and second wheels to allow for ripps as narrow as 1/4", if no one is behind the saw.

Remove the wheel guard and jam the crevice tool of a shop vac between the first and second wheels. Clean pitch off the wheels with isopropyl alcohol.

Land them in a cardboard box in batches of 8 to 10 and get on with the job. A fancy setup might save you 15 minutes less the time and money you spend setting it up.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    I make multiples that can run into the hundreds on a regular basis. Stock feeders make everything quicker, safer, and more accurate than hand feeding.

The mini feeders are great. I have had one since 1998, and it's still running. I use it on a 1 1/4" spindle 5 hp shaper. I have a regular stock feeder for big stuff.
    On a saw, I use the mini feeder for running rabbets on a dado blade and ripping moldings off wider boards. I have a bigger feeder on a 14" saw for ripping rough lumber.

The good thing about a feeder on a saw is that one can stand on the side of the saw to feed it, and reach the pieces as they come out. You can feed and catch at the same time. There is no need to walk around the saw, or reach over the blade. The feeder makes a great guard.

Mount the feeder with the hexagonal arm in line with the saw arbor. This will give you the greatest reach.

To set the feeder up, put a 1/4" piece of plywood on a wok piece, and set the feeder body on it. Toe the wheels in 1/4" to the fence. This will set adequate downward pressure. When ripping, the blade can sit between the first and second wheels to allow for ripps as narrow as 1/4", if no one is behind the saw.

Remove the wheel guard and jam the crevice tool of a shop vac between the first and second wheels. Clean pitch off the wheels with isopropyl alcohol.
    Where do you mount the feeder on a cabinet saw that doesn't reduce the width of a board you can run through it? My router table already cuts down my space to the right of the blade to less than 30". I would think a feeder would cut this down even more. Am I missing something here.

Am I'm with Tom. Land them in a cardboard box and get on with it. I've made plenty of elaborate shop devices / jigs. They look great, but rarely worth the effort and especially time.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Where do you mount the feeder on a cabinet saw that doesn't reduce the width of a board you can run through it?
    That is an issue. A sufficiently stout extension table can serve. I have been in a shop with a feeder mounted on the ceiling.

With the baby feeder you can mount it to a magnet. Here's a video making a mag mount and then using it on a table saw. As long as the arm is long enough and the board is not wider than the width of the saw and extension tables it should work.
    Last edited by Alex Zeller; 03-06-2021 at 9:40 AM.

Hi Bryan,
    The Mag switch mount would work great. They weren't on my radar when I drilled the hole in my table buit would use them now.

I appreciate everyone's replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Am I'm with Tom. Land them in a cardboard box and get on with it.
    Never crossed my mind to just use a cardboard box instead of building a box. Have to give that some thought. Thanks for the idea. I guess one unmentioned requirement is to not dent up the wood as I process it. These boards end up as displays in stores. So I was trying to figure out a way to not have the boards bang corners and edges into one another, etc.

A couple have suggested I just hire a kid to help, but that is not an option for me. It's a small shop and I would not want to run the risk of them getting hurt, and then me getting sued.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    With the baby feeder you can mount it to a magnet. Here's a video making a mag mount and then using it on a table saw. As long as the arm is long enough and the board is not wider than the width of the saw and extension tables it should work.
    Really interesting, Alex. But my feeder sitting unused on the floor is larger than that and I don't believe magnets could remotely hold it. I love to know if I'm wrong about that. Also, removing it for crosscutting a long board on the right side of the blade is a two person job, so it would have to be semi-permanent, which I don't think would work for me.

Anyone have a spare magnet from an MRI?
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 03-07-2021 at 8:26 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.