Thread: New job, new town, new shop

New job, new town, new shop

This will be an interesting experiment in working in a very small space. I moved and specifically looked for an apartment with a garage so I could set up a shop space. I expect I’ll be here for about a year, then hopefully find a place to buy. So, this is semi-temporary and the apartment complex doesn’t want me hanging things on the garage wall. I think this will work ok; I’ll pull my car out and leave the door open when I’m working on things. I may set up a battery-powered light if the light in the garage proves to be inadequate. Someone’s apartment is above me, but none of the walls of the garage are shared with a living space, so I don’t think I’ll bother anyone with noise as long as I’m not mortising late into the night.

DB318D02-EAAF-40B7-9CD9-F07223C0EFEA.jpg

Is the restriction on holes in the drywall a fire code issue?

You could always try those 3M velcro wall hanging dealie-ma-bobs.
    I've used them quite successfully for hanging large heavy mirrors and picture frames. Or VHB tape. Don't think either would work with a cabinet, but would likely work with saws, tapes, squares,etc

Good luck on your new adventure

I’m guessing the no hanging rule is just to discourage people from turning their garages into storage or work spaces. I told them I’d like to use it for hobby woodworking when I moved in. They hesitated, but said it was OK when I told them I didn’t use power tools. I’m sure a table saw or planer would draw complaints. There are also no outlets or lights in the garage. Funnily enough, the lease also says no adhesive hangers in the apartment. They’d rather you use a nail and claim the adhesive is hard to clean.

I think I can make this work pretty well for a year.

Blog Entries
    A landlord friend once commented, "Do you know what kind of people put holes in walls… Renters."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Can't put holes in the garage walls? That's not a garage it's a car apartment. I hope you're allowed to use the toilets as intended. Sorry I couldn't resist. Good luck with the move, job and shop!

Where there's a will, there's a way-I'm sure you'll make it work. You could use a headlamp to improve the lighting (I'm only half kidding-I don't know how I got on so long without a decent one for all sorts of things).

Best of luck!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra