Thread: Sjobergs - Scandi Plus 1825 Workbench--any thoughts?

Sjobergs - Scandi Plus 1825 Workbench--any thoughts?

So I have been going back and forth about building versus buying a bench.

With lumber prices and limited free time, tight now I am leaning towards just buying a bench so I can focus on building things versus "building things to build build things".

I see that Woodcarft has deal coming up in March that if you buy the Sjobergs 1825, you get the under bench storage unit for free.

Anyone have any experience with the Sjoberg benches. I have looked at them in the stores and the tops look thick and solid, but I am a little concerned about the legs.

I appreciate the feedback

I have the larger one, with the under bench storage.

I like it, with the exception that mine has the 1" dog holes. I would avoid that one like the plague, but the one you referenced has 3/4" dog holes, so at least you can get a decent variety of accessories for them.

The legs on mine are very solid. No issues at all. I installed workbench casters on them, so I can move the bench if necessary (a pretty rare event, actually).
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I bought a Sjoberg 1800BS workbench from Woodcraft a dozen years ago or so. Looks similar to the current Elite 2000 series. Very heavy and sturdy. The top is 3+ inches thick. It was pricey when I bought it and more so today but I've been really happy with it.

I have the Sjöbergs Elite 2000 with the under bench storage, and it might be the same model Alan has. It was on sale at a local big box store at the same time I was making a "build or buy" decision. For the price and availability, it was too good of a deal to pass up, so I bought. I don't think I missed out on anything by sidestepping this rite of passage.

The legs are sturdy, and there is no wobble or movement at all. The two-meter long worktop is heavy and has gracefully accepted all of the abuse I have thrown at it.

The only negative point about this bench is the 1-inch dog holes. What were the designers at Sjöbergs thinking??? I was going to plug the holes with dowels and redrill the top 3/4-inch holes, but I bought four of the 1-inch Sjöbergs holdfasts on sale.

Blog Entries
    I know this isn't a "should I build or buy" thread, but I'll mention one thing... before I built my bench recently, I *thought* I was proficient at preparing lumber and performing glue ups... Boy did I get a LOT of practice at both of those skills and am reaping the benefits in my other work - my efficiency and accuracy on lumber prep is 10x better than before, it has become almost a dance now. Glue ups that were once a little bit of a chore happen easily on auto pilot. I really didn't know these were areas of such valuable improvement in my case, but I'm glad to own the skills now (plus I like the bench ha ha). I also really understand vise hardware and functionality at a level far deeper level than before. You may be past these learning curve points, so perhaps not enticing arguments :-)

Note: It took me over a month to build the bench, with my pesky actual career and the family taking much of my waking hours each day, so you're not wrong that this will take you away from other projects for a bit... then again, I feel like the world is on pause right now and using time for this was worth it for me.

Also, question for those with 1" holes in their top.. Could you simply and selectively add some 3/4" holes (rather than one or the other.. both sizes) or would you then have too much of a "swiss cheese" table top?
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Have you considered if you want a leg vise or not? I do not believe this style of bench will support a leg vise. Maybe with some serious modification, but otherwise no. Leg vises are invaluable for working with larger projects, where a more conventional screw vise tends to be pretty shallow in terms of the material it can hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Also, question for those with 1" holes in their top.. Could you simply and selectively add some 3/4" holes (rather than one or the other.. both sizes) or would you then have too much of a "swiss cheese" table top?
    If I wasn't satisfied with the holdfasts I now have, I would fill the holes and drill smaller holes for the more popular 3/4-inch holdfasts. I would not add more holes to the top, since I would be duplicating the hole pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    If I wasn't satisfied with the holdfasts I now have, I would fill the holes and drill smaller holes for the more popular 3/4-inch holdfasts. I would not add more holes to the top, since I would be duplicating the hole pattern.
    I almost did that. And still might. The concept just bothers me, though.

And the top does need a few more holes. I'm constantly not able to clamp pieces down due to that.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I also have the Sjöbergs Elite 2000 with the under bench storage. I love it. I did add the leg lifts to get a bit more height for the bench.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

I have the Elite 1500 and 2000 both with cabinets. I like the variety of clamping positions with the wide vises and double row of dogs. I have never used conventional holdfasts so I don’t miss that. You can’t use them with a cabinet anyway. The Sjoberg unconventional holdfast holds well and is easy to use but it is tall and can get in the way. I do find a lot of uses for them. I use quick clamps around the edge too. The 1 inch dogs give more clamping surface than 3/4 inch and they are stout.