Thread: Old Masters Super Varnish

Old Masters Super Varnish

Anyone have any experience using Old Master Super Varnish satin? Pratt & Lambert #38 satin is no longer manufactured, and I can no longer find old stock. Thank you.

Sorry, no but I do like the old masters stains in general, so maybe the Super Varnish is worth a try. I'm still looking for a replacement for my old favorite that got discontinued, let us know if you find a good one.

Hi, no experience with that one however I have used Minwax oil modified water based satin poly.

I normally used oil based however this one lets you apply all 4 coats in one day. And has a traditional look.

You might want to try it out on a sample....Rod

I love the Old Masters varnish!! When I was doing full time finish carpentry and woodworking we would use this exclusively. I have on my kitchen cabinets and dining room table.
    Free tip. Amber shellac and Old Masters on cherry is fantastic!!

Amber shellac as a sealer and and Old Masters as a top coat. Thanks for the tip Tom. How many coats of OM would you use?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-28-2021 at 3:13 PM. Reason: Defaulted font so it's readable on large screens