Thread: Endoscope/Boroscope as a thickness indictor

Endoscope/Boroscope as a thickness indictor

Anyone tried using an endoscope/boroscope as a thickness indicator? I really like the idea of using video, as some hollowing systems do, to gauge thickness. But, I wasn't so crazy about dedicating a tablet or computer to the process. These new scopes have a small, fairly rugged, display built into them. There are many for under $100. I haven't yet purchased a hollowing system but when I do I'm thinking video is the way to go. Thoughts? Here is one example:

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-RO...4432357&sr=8-4

I have one of those inexpensive boroscopes, the picture quality is pretty bad.

I already had the laser attachment for my Bosch stabiliizer, converting it to a camera cost a total of about $30 for a TV camera from Amazon, a couple of cables, and an ancient small computer monitor that was languishing in my closet. No need for a tablet or computer for any reason. People are giving away old small monitors and TV sets all the time, no reason to have to buy one.

My endoscope that I purchased ~ 2016 was serviceable but relatively low quality image. The one I purchased in 2018 was much better resolution and also much better focal distance. Mine has a USB plug which I use on an ancient laptop computer, but you probably have an old cell phone you are not using for anything else.

I’m confused, it isn’t hard. I understand you will be able to see the finish on the inside but how is that going to tell you the thickness?

I had a tablet that I wasn't using and I bought a wireless endoscope for something like $20 on Ebay. It works like a charm.

Rusty, take a look on youtube here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pidLwThKHSw

Alan does an excellent job of explaining the concept. The camera is not inside the vessel, so it is not used for see the finish. The camera is outside, taking the place of the laser that I used to use.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks Grant. That was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pidLwThKHSw

Alan does an excellent job of explaining the concept. The camera is not inside the vessel, so it is not used for see the finish. The camera is outside, taking the place of the laser that I used to use.
    Several people I know have switched to using a video camera instead of a laser. A club demo once showed the advantages. I recently bought such a system from a friend.

A couple of things about these systems. The view on a boroscope camera may use a very wide-angle lens for FOV and focus reasons. I can't imagine such a camera being useful at the distance needed for a hollowing system.
    The Bosch boroscope I bought (before the cheap ones were available) has a pretty good image, but not nearly as good as a stand-alone camera.

Instead of an extreme wide-angle lens, one with a relatively narrow field of view will minimize perspective distortion.
    The camera should also be capable of manual focus.

For me, a camera with a wired video output going to a monitor would be desirable to avoid having to use a tablet or computer. Could use a USB to analog video adapter, though.

I don't do woodturning but I have a couple of cheap endoscopes. You're not going to get much image quality without paying more for it, but for $15-20 you can get something good enough to be useful for many purposes. I doubt that the one you linked to is any better but it comes with a camera and SD Card. Seems like a good price for what you get, but you can also use >almost*< any old cell phone or laptop for the video.

[*Edit: With a cell phone you might need to install some kind of appropriate software (video app) and maybe find an OTG USB adaptor. One of my scopes works with an old LG phone + OTG adaptor, the other one won't for no reason I can find. I got the endoscopes for gun bores and have rarely used them, especially for gun bores, but once in a while there's something that they are perfect for.]
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 02-27-2021 at 5:19 PM.

I see some with zoom feature that should address the field of view issue. Some are 1080P resolution. I want something small, rugged, and easy to put into place without having to contrive some contraption to hold it. I'm not thrilled about a cell phone - too expensive and too fragile for me. Monitors/tablets are bigger. Bigger isn't necessary. Wireless Endoscope to a tablet..... maybe. I'm not going to invest for a couple more years. So it's likely quality/performance will improve some by then. I'm looking for affordable (<$200 total cost), rugged, AC powered, and easy to install without being in the way....I don't want much

I used an old 7" monitor for a truck backup camera. I glued a magnet on the bottom so I can stick it to my headstock when I'm using it Works perfectly-- not bulky at all, but plenty big enough to see. They are $30-60 new with 1080p resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I used an old 7" monitor for a truck backup camera. I glued a magnet on the bottom so I can stick it to my headstock when I'm using it Works perfectly-- not bulky at all, but plenty big enough to see. They are $30-60 new with 1080p resolution.
    That might work for me. Thanks for the tip, Roger. Still some time before I'll buy a hollowing system.

I can see that being a lot easier than the laser.

The variety of endoscopes that you can buy has increased quite a bit compared to 5 years ago. The newer endoscope camera I bought, that I mentioned in my earlier post, is much better than my prior one and still less than $15.. I am far from an expert but believe the key feature to look for is the specification: focal length "4cm - infinite" Mine does not have manual focus but I find it quite adequate for hollowing.