Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: Painting Rooms??

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Modesto, CA, USA
    Posts
    5,713
    In California the term is Navajo white and Swiss coffee for rental units.
    Bill D

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    Antique white for walls and ceilings in rooms that are painted.... Blends in with any style / color furniture IMO...(actually wife's opinion!!)...

    Daughters BR has been pink, green, grey with always a white ceiling..
    I am planning on painting the office room a grey. It will be the first time I ever painted a room grey but I think that is the new in color these days. I am leaning white ceilings the more I read these.
    John T.

  3. #18
    I have never liked beige paint ....and it was finally on its way OUT!! Now it’s back as WHITE !? If you have a child in kindergarten, and you want
    them to learn quickly....be honest about colors. Don’t wait until they want to post a GREEN “red bird” on the refrigerator!
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 02-28-2021 at 2:15 AM.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    208
    I’ve always painted ceilings with flat white ceiling paint. I hate painting ceilings and the idea of having to use multiple coats to cover or change the colour of the ceiling every time the wall colour is changed is unappealing. We seem to change colours regularly. Our current house has a swirl texture finish on the ceilings (yuck) which would make it even more difficult to change colours without multiple coats.
    I paint closets white whenever possible for similar reasons so am beginning to suspect I’m just lazy!
    Good luck with the re- decorating.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    2,523
    Painting ceilings to match the wall color is a trendy thing on sites like Houzz these days. I'm sticking with the brightest white I can find, these old eyes need all the light they can get.

    Gray is definitely the new beige.

    We paint our house in pretty bright, albeit light, colors, every room different. I like the variety. Always hated houses painted entirely in "landlord white".

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Highland MI
    Posts
    4,137
    Blog Entries
    11
    Just painted two bedrooms, both have white ceilings, one needed repainting and I stayed with white. I HATE painting ceilings, so I used the paint that goes on pink so you can see where you have been and then dries white. Still hate painting ceilings. Maybe use a pro trick and go with an 18" roller so it takes half the time? personally I prefer white ceilings, it helps set off the wall color and helps brighten the room.
    NOW you tell me...

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Highland MI
    Posts
    4,137
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    In California the term is Navajo white and Swiss coffee for rental units.
    Bill D
    Hmm, wonder how much longer that Navajo white will last with the PC police ramping up?
    NOW you tell me...

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    56,580
    Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    I am planning on painting the office room a grey. It will be the first time I ever painted a room grey but I think that is the new in color these days. I am leaning white ceilings the more I read these.
    Coincidently, I just did a refresh on my office exactly like that...walls went to grey and a vinyl plank floor went in as the soft wide pine had been damaged over the years by my chair, despite a carpet to protect against that. Ceiling and trim remained white. The previous wall color was a very light green.

    IMG_9030.jpg IMG_9036.jpg
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lake Gaston, Henrico, NC
    Posts
    5,482
    I like the color changing ceiling paint. The color changes from purple, to white as it dries. That can save an extra coat, since you can see how well you're covering. It's especially useful when spraying using a supplied air hood, which does restrict visibility some when the face shield gets some bounceback spray on it.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-28-2021 at 10:44 AM.

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Just painted two bedrooms, both have white ceilings, one needed repainting and I stayed with white. I HATE painting ceilings, so I used the paint that goes on pink so you can see where you have been and then dries white. Still hate painting ceilings. Maybe use a pro trick and go with an 18" roller so it takes half the time? personally I prefer white ceilings, it helps set off the wall color and helps brighten the room.
    Painting ceilings is easy and quite fast with an airless sprayer. But you may have to do a lot of masking. Still, with practice and the right tools and materials this can go quickly.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 02-28-2021 at 11:51 AM.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lake Gaston, Henrico, NC
    Posts
    5,482
    My order of work, if the walls are going to be a color, mask off the floor with brown paper around the edges, and dropcloth over the rest of the floor. Trim gets sprayed, not worrying about what gets on the walls, roll the color on the walls and cut in the trim with a brush-quicker than masking anything, then tape the top of the walls, whether plain wall, or crown molding, and use the cling drape below the tape, then spray the ceiling last. It's easier to drape a wall, than mask a ceiling, so ceiling is last.

    edited to add: I like the wall drape with the built-in tape for the highest layer, or by itself is one will cover.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-28-2021 at 12:33 PM.

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    My order of work, if the walls are going to be a color, mask off the floor with brown paper around the edges, and dropcloth over the rest of the floor. Trim gets sprayed, not worrying about what gets on the walls, roll the color on the walls and cut in the trim with a brush-quicker than masking anything, then tape the top of the walls, whether plain wall, or crown molding, and use the cling drape below the tape, then spray the ceiling last. It's easier to drape a wall, than mask a ceiling, so ceiling is last.

    edited to add: I like the wall drape with the built-in tape for the highest layer, or by itself is one will cover.
    If doing the walls _and_ ceiling, Iíll start with what you do on the floors, and mask off the windows and appliances etc. Then spray primer on the walls and ceilings. Then (because I usually have the benefit of waiting some time after that) Iíll paper the perimeter of the wall/ceiling intersection and spray the ceilings. Then the walls usually get rolled, and the trim rolled and brushed. I donít have to drape the walls, unless painting them first, which is a bit inconvenient although manageable.

    Essential tools: 3M hand maskers, 3M masking film, general purpose masking paper, green frog tape.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Medina Ohio
    Posts
    4,102
    When I was painting for a home builder that I worked for he had 2 colors one was rice paper and the other was antique white they were close to the same color if you didn't see them side by side. I would spray the walls and ceilings the same color.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I like the color changing ceiling paint. The color changes from purple, to white as it dries. That can save an extra coat, since you can see how well you're covering. It's especially useful when spraying using a supplied air hood, which does restrict visibility some when the face shield gets some bounceback spray on it.
    When we lived in St Louis we got first hand experience with that. The prior homeowner had used it so every time the humidity went up into the high 80's and beyond (an unfortunately common experience in StL) the ceilings would all turn a mottled rosy purple/pink. Not my favorite.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern UT
    Posts
    748
    I am doing a mild remodeling job on half a duplex for designer I work with. She originally said to do the ceilings the same color as the walls, a medium tan color. Then just before I started, she changed her mind and said to cut the ceiling paint with equal portion of a white ceiling paint. I looks better than it would have, but the 50% dilution didn't make as much of a change as you would have thought. Still, I personally like white, or perhaps a notch or two up the scale of a grey. Certainly makes the room look bigger and the ceiling not so 'heavy' when you are in the room.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •