Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Painting Rooms??

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    I am doing a mild remodeling job on half a duplex for designer I work with. She originally said to do the ceilings the same color as the walls, a medium tan color. Then just before I started, she changed her mind and said to cut the ceiling paint with equal portion of a white ceiling paint. I looks better than it would have, but the 50% dilution didn't make as much of a change as you would have thought. Still, I personally like white, or perhaps a notch or two up the scale of a grey. Certainly makes the room look bigger and the ceiling not so 'heavy' when you are in the room.
    Part of the problem with non-white ceiling colors is how difficult it makes it to light the room. It’s like living in a cave, to a certain extent. Or a David Lynch movie. Unless that’s your intent. :^)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Coincidently, I just did a refresh on my office exactly like that...walls went to grey and a vinyl plank floor went in as the soft wide pine had been damaged over the years by my chair, despite a carpet to protect against that. Ceiling and trim remained white. The previous wall color was a very light green.

Attachment 453245 Attachment 453246
    I like that combo. What is the grey color called??
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Which side? DARK SIDE or LIGHT SIDE? With stripes you could use both colors

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Which side? DARK SIDE or LIGHT SIDE? With stripes you could use both colors
    I am talking about the photo Jim showed of his office.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    SW 7072 "Online" is the color...same one I used for the Gallery Room project a few months ago. The Emerald matte covers really, really well, too...one coat in both rooms rolled without being stingy with the paint. I thought about going slightly lighter, but since I had enough to do the room by only adding a quart, I stuck with it to keep the cost to a minimum. The flooring is HD's "Home Decorators" vinyl in "Black Ash" color. Ceiling paint is SW "SuperPaint" put on by the contractors that did our addition in 2008 and the trim is SW ProClassic.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    SW 7072 "Online" is the color...same one I used for the Gallery Room project a few months ago. The Emerald matte covers really, really well, too...one coat in both rooms rolled without being stingy with the paint. I thought about going slightly lighter, but since I had enough to do the room by only adding a quart, I stuck with it to keep the cost to a minimum. The flooring is HD's "Home Decorators" vinyl in "Black Ash" color. Ceiling paint is SW "SuperPaint" put on by the contractors that did our addition in 2008 and the trim is SW ProClassic.
    Thanks Jim I just looked it up and like that color because it actually looks grey and not these blue grey looks. They have a shade lighter in that same class that I will have to look at. Will pick up chips. All this painting is going to get done after these guys get done with kitchen and bath and I get my work portion done. Then I will go through entire house one room at a time and paint. I do not mind painting. It is relaxing and if I get a room done a day that would be fine. Being retired we have no clock.
    John T.

You cited one of the major reasons I chose that color...it's not tilted blue or green. It has nice contrast with the white trim but is light enough that it doesn't "shrink" the room.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In high school I painted my bedroom walls and ceiling a pale yellow. Still remember it was called "pastel jonquil". next summer I painted the ceiling white. It just needed some contrast.
    In this house I painted the living room a swiss coffee for walls and ceiling. We decided before i was even all the way done the ceiling needed to be lighter to look good. Easy to do since this house has coved ceilings with the 12" wide drywall making a sharp 1/2" step at the ceiling transition.
    Bill D