Thread: Ian Kirby still around?

Ian Kirby still around?

I can't find any website for his shop or any recent info; is Ian still alive / active in woodworking?

Mark

I found an article by him from June 2020 : https://www.woodshopnews.com/columns...-not-designing

According to this New York Times article he was 68 in 2000. He would be 89 this year.
    Last edited by Jim A. Moore; 02-27-2021 at 6:14 AM.

I really enjoyed his Dovetail book. I talked to him about 20 years ago and he was very cordial. I have not seen anything lately on him.

I’ve never met him (have autographed books though!) but I have a friend who is his friend. I’ll send a note and inquire.

Yes, Ian is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I’ve never met him (have autographed books though!) but I have a friend who is his friend. I’ll send a note and inquire.
    I talked to Ian today by phone and when he answered he said, no, he wasn't alive but dead. Then he said, well, ok, he wasn't really dead! He'd said to tell everyone he is doing well and is still woodworking at almost 89.

Ian has a new website: https://iankirbydesign.com/

When I visited my friend and stayed in his guest room a couple of nights he told me that was the room Ian stayed in too, so that's our only connection!
    I've never met him but from the phone call he certainly sounds like a nice guy. And with a good sense of humor!

BTW, these are the books I have, all new, autographed, and with a personal note from Ian.

Ian-Kerby-books.jpg

As almost all of my woodwork is wood turning, perhaps I should think about passing these books along to someone else who might appreciate them more.

JKJ

That's awesome he is still alive and active and awesome that you have had the privilege to speak in person with him. Even if you never had the honor of a face to face meeting you still have a connection to him.

Glad to hear Ian is alive and well and you spoke to him John. He has such a wealth of knowledge and is an excellent teacher. I have 2 of his books.

Hmm I never got notified of your reply and just found it in a search. Thanks for the response. Glad he's still kicking.
    Frank Klausz is amazing and I got to know him; can't recall if I ever spoke much to Ian when I attended his workshop on furniture design at a fantastic defunct WW show in Novi, Michigan around 20-25 yrs ago.

9. Hi guys, not to bump an old thread, but I've recently purchased one a house that Ian designed in Bennington Vermont back in around 1980-1981ish (it was built in sometime in 1981). Over the years it's had some... questionable design choices (putting it gently) and I was hoping to get in touch with Ian if he had any memories or opinions on how to bring it back to more of the original intent, as the original detailing and the deck design really made me fall in love with it.

I tried contacting him on his website, but both the listed emails bounced.

Thanks!

10. Hi Tristan...

I know this post is old but I can put you in touch with my father in law if you are still needing to speak to him.
    My husband remembers the house and said both his parents designed it...but that Dad may still have the plans for it.
    I'm jealous you live in Bennington...it's one of my favorite places in the world.

Cindy, That post is a couple of years old and that was his only post.