Thread: Vintage Delta Drill Press Push/Pull switch restoration

Vintage Delta Drill Press Push/Pull switch restoration

Believe my Delta drill press is around a 1943 Model. The push /pull switch w/ rod has been acting up. The switch is mounted on the side of the motor and the push/pull rod goes forward. I've found some scattered info on Pinterest re rewiring and or replacing with a much newer switch. I'd like to maintain the vintage style if possible. There are 4 wires exiting from the motor case. Don't know quite where to start ? I did find a replacement (looking) switch base on ebay, but 'am skeptical.

Ideas??
    Thks,
    Gary

Free advise but Does the motor disconnect from the drill press?? if it does haul it down to an electric motor repair place and let them do it. They work with electric motors all the time, they may know of a better switch. No use ruining a real antiue.

If not, get out your picture taking thing a cell phone or camera, and start taking it apart, documenting ever

y move. OH YES unplug it and tape the plug to the press.

Could just be dirt/grime in the switch itself.

No use ruining an antiue just to save a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by anne watson View Post
    Free advise but Does the motor disconnect from the drill press?? if it does haul it down to an electric motor repair place and let them do it. They work with electric motors all the time, they may know of a better switch. No use ruining a real antiue.

If not, get out your picture taking thing a cell phone or camera, and start taking it apart, documenting ever

y move. OH YES unplug it and tape the plug to the press.

Could just be dirt/grime in the switch itself.

No use ruining an antiue just to save a few bucks.
    Thanks Anne - I was considering going that route and now probably will
    Gary

Check out the Owwm site. There's been some threads about how to clean-repair these switch's .