Thread: Looking for Advice on Kitchen Cabinet/Closet Plywood

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for Advice on Kitchen Cabinet/Closet Plywood

So I'm building the kitchen cabinets for our new house as well as a custom closet, bookcases, etc. I'm having a hard time understanding and choosing the right plywood.

Everything will be painted white, EVERYTHING! Haha

So would a C-2 Birch (The Cheap Option) be fine since everything will be painted other than the insides of the kitchen cabinets? Only a few of the cabinets will have doors (visible inside carcass) and almost all of them will be drawer based, so not very visible interiors.

or should I upgrade to something else? The people over at Wurth Wood Group are recommending a domestic Maple, but it's still C-2 and almost double the price. I don't think I want to go the MDF route due to the weight and concerns of holding up over time, but maybe someone here can change my mind! Ha

Also, all of the drawers are built from poplar and the drawer faces/doors are maple, but still painted white of course.

I am kind of thinking of going with MDF for the custom closet, but wasn't sure about all of that weight and how it would hold up over time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by Josh Baldwin; 02-26-2021 at 3:43 PM.