Thread: My First Project using my new woodshop setup.

My First Project using my new woodshop setup.

So I am starting to get into woodworking more, and building up my basement shop little by little. Here is my very first cutting board I made using my new planer and router table. I love both those items. Learning a lot. IMG_0114.jpgIMG_0119.jpgIMG_0113.jpgIMG_0116.jpg

Let me also add a disclaimer. I cheated and used a kit that came pre cut in strips. Next cutting board I will cut down myself now that my table saw finally arrived.

Looks Good. What was your finish?

Howard's mineral oil. 2 coats. Then 3 coats of the butcher block wax. Photo is showing it wet, but it dried nicely. Next board I will learn how to cut the groove for juices and that seems to enter the template and jig mode, which is all new to me, and I will screw up before that is a mastered technique. I also learned how to round the corners more.

Practical project, I'm sure it will get plenty of use.

Funny you should that Mark. The board right now is propped up against the kitchen counter. I don't think I will use it. It was more for decoration.

I've made a load of cutting boards 60+. And people always say they dont want to use it, especially family.
    Please use it, using a nice hardwood board is very satisfying. In a couple years when its all marked up take it out and the garage and resand it.

Theres a couple good videos on juice grove jigs on youtube. Ive been meaning to put one together. I was thinking if you had 2 perpendicular sides you could do each corner and rotate the board so if you are hitting 5 different sized boards the jig would always work

for my juice board I have blueprints from a wood magazine, so it shouldn't be that hard. But then i have to use the band saw which i don't have to cut out the MDF template. Then pattern follow using my router. So now I have to improvise with no band saw to make the template. Then I can follow. Already bought all the right bits. just a matter of time and more material to buy.

Looks great...something I've never tried yet have always wanted to. Nice work.
    A wannabe woodworker!