Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tires for Chevy Equinox

New tires for Chevy Equinox

I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox. They came new with Michelin tires. Without a question some of the best tires Ive owned. Time for new.

I have a 10 year power-train warranty on the Equinox. I plan to trade the car off at the end of the warranty Aug 2023.
    With that said, I don't feel I need to spend the money on Michelin tires for just 2 1/2 years of use.
    Looking for recommendations on a less expensive brand tire. Extra points if you have used them on an Equinox.

On another car I purchased Kelly tires, A brand pushed by a local tire dealer and they wore down faster than I thought they should.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I've had really good experiences with General.

The conundrum with buying "less expensive" tires is that they often have far shorter "real world" tread life, so you buy a second time much sooner. That could actually cost you more. For long life, I like Michelin Defender LTX, but am currently running the BFG Advantage T/A Sport because of OEM size availability. I had the Defenders on the Grand Cherokee I previously drove and have the T/A Sports on my Subaru Ascent. These are both similar sized vehicles to your Equinox.

That said, if you only need two years, there are lots of choices. Do some shopping on Discount Tire Direct's website...or Tire Rack if you prefer. (I buy from Costco so it's Michelin, Bridgestone or BFG, but with lifetime rotation/balancing/road hazard)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-25-2021 at 9:01 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The first time your expensive tires keep you out of a ditch, they pay for themselves.

You don't see NHL pros on rusty skates.

Keep in mind that tire rack has " tire rating charts" comparisons based on user feedback, and also tire testing done by tire rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The conundrum with buying "less expensive" tires is that they often have far shorter "real world" tread life, so you buy a second time much sooner. That could actually cost you more.
    I second this. For my wife's rig we bought some general walmart special tires. Barely got 25k out of them.

I only put about 5000 miles a year on my 97 Powerstroke, so my tires “expire” before they run out. I found out tire shops will not dismount a tire over 5 yrs old. At the time they were 11 yrs old!

I’ve always run Firestone, but $900 for a set of tires was a bit much. I found some on sale for almost 1/2 that. They are called Primewell and they are excellent tires. I wouldn’t be scared to go off brand then again, prorate the cost out 30 months it might. Ot make much of a diff.

The story I was told when they put the tarrifs on Chinese tires, everyone else jacked their prices to match.

I tend to buy tires more for their handling characteristics than lifetime or cost effectiveness, so no way would I choose to drive for 2-1/2 years on tires I didn't like the feel of. So unfortunately my tires tend to be both expensive and relatively short-lived-- but fun in the meantime! For me putting "bargain" tires on my car feels a lot like putting a $10 no-name saw blade from the dollar store onto a good table saw. (We're talking a 13 year old Mini here, not a Lamborghini, lest anyone get ideas!)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I only put about 5000 miles a year on my 97 Powerstroke, so my tires “expire” before they run out. I found out tire shops will not dismount a tire over 5 yrs old. At the time they were 11 yrs old!

I’ve always run Firestone, but $900 for a set of tires was a bit much. I found some on sale for almost 1/2 that. They are called Primewell and they are excellent tires. I wouldn’t be scared to go off brand then again, prorate the cost out 30 months it might. Ot make much of a diff.

The story I was told when they put the tarrifs on Chinese tires, everyone else jacked their prices to match.
    Sounds like you need a different tire shop. I've never heard of such a thing. I suppose in an urban area you might get away with such silliness but here in farm country they won't be in business if they don't take care of the customer. I could just see them telling the farmer that his tires are to old and what the response would be. On top of that and you can google it for yourself but some tire companies were selling tires that were older than that right off the rack. Check the date code on new tires and make sure you are actually getting new tires. They deteriorate just setting on the rack.

I can see a policy off not remounting old tires, but dismounting them? Once you let the air out the only way that tire is going to hurt you is if you drop it on your foot.

Being an avid sport motorcyclist, where a pair of tires cost $350+ and lasts 1000 miles, I don't like to scrimp on quality tires whether it's for two or four wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I can see a policy off not remounting old tires, but dismounting them? Once you let the air out the only way that tire is going to hurt you is if you drop it on your foot.

Being an avid sport motorcyclist, where a pair of tires cost $350+ and lasts 1000 miles, I don't like to scrimp on quality tires whether it's for two or four wheels.
    Being a diesel truck owner when a set of tires costs 1500 or more, it makes you think twice about that saving 100.

I used to buy really cheap until someone said " I would never put cheap tires on my car, outside of the brakes the tires are what's keeping your wife and kids on the road."

I'm regards to the date codes, I would assume tires are much like the rubber hose business. The tires / hoses last much much longer than the mfgs intented date.
    I think the mfg date has more to do with how long it should sit on the shelf before effecting service life.

I put the LTX on the wallywagon and like Jim was happy with them. Concerned they would be noisey and they were not at all, did shocks and coils and the three made it a different car. One extra sidewall on an already too high sidewall helped. Car was firmer right away but not harsh. I can go up to 50 PSI and 2271 lbs load rating. Car is 4.600 lbs not sure about the Equinox. I drove a 2016 Equinox for maybe three months and it was offered to me for free. I passed and said id only sell it and get a better wally wagon. I know what I drove was low option one but geez no comparison id take the car any day. Equinox was 25k in 2016 Wallywagon 29k in 92 so not cheap. I cant remember what was on the Equinox maybe a cheap michelin not sure whatever on it was noisey, then snows noisier still.

Yes, the Defender LTX were not noisy at all. Neither are the BFG Advantage A/T Sport's I'm running currently on my Ascent. Some tires tend to get noisier as they wear...something to look for in any "real" reviews. The JGC was 5300 lbs and my Ascent is not quite 4800 lbs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Sounds like you need a different tire shop. I've never heard of such a thing. I suppose in an urban area you might get away with such silliness but here in farm country they won't be in business if they don't take care of the customer. I could just see them telling the farmer that his tires are to old and what the response would be. On top of that and you can google it for yourself but some tire companies were selling tires that were older than that right off the rack. Check the date code on new tires and make sure you are actually getting new tires. They deteriorate just setting on the rack.
    There is at least talk in Pennsylvania of a 5 year life limit on tires. The supposed concern is sidewall dry rot. This was from an independent shop that doesn't sell tires but does state inspections. I'm currently running Cooper from Walmart but they're not Walmart exclusives, I'd seen the same model from other sources. The only downside was when they were new braking on wet/snowy roads was not good. It seems like that has gone away with a little wear. They seem to be wearing OK though I haven't had them long.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-27-2021 at 9:03 AM.