Thread: My first post

My first post

Happy Thursday All! I'm new on board and wanted to stop by, say hello and reach out for help. Here to share and hope I'm able to contribute more than I walk away with. I'm hoping someone has taken apart a General 130 planer gearbox to replace the cutter head with a Shelix? ...well actually, the Shelix head is more of an " Opportunity/ early birthday present " upgrade. I broke a shear pin on the infeed roller sprocket so it all has to come apart anyway. Scratching my head how the worm gear comes off the cutter shaft? The manual and a visual shows a key way and woodruff key but getting at it is a pickle. Cheers!
    IMG_0390.jpg

Si, first off, welcome to the Creek!

If you are talking about the gear your finger is touching, I'd suggest loosening the set screw and sliding down the goldish colored gear with which it meshes. Then maybe you can see if there is a set screw holding the object gear in place.

To move the other gear down after you loosen it's set screw, you might have to try to manually turn/wiggle the worm gear.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Ken. Yes I was hoping for a set screw as well but there isn't one. It looks to me the woodruff key is slipped in as the shaft/cutter head is being re-assembled into position. The bronze gear is held in place with a grove pin but there's not a lot of room to try to push it thru. Seems to me that if i could slide the bronze gear out of position it may help removing that worm gear but im not sure...

I thought I remembered this exact topic being covered somewhere in the past... And here it is: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....er-cutter-head

Which then leads to this: https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...laner-Upgrade=

Hope that helps. That worm gear appears to be a press fit and was removed with a puller once the nut was off the shaft...
    Regards

Thanks Brad I'll check out those links. There is a center for a puller pin but with the worm gear being engaged on the bronze makes me nervous...
    Hope all is well down there! We're thinkin bout you guys

Follow up - Those links you shared were the golden ticket! now.... to dig up dad's puller

Quote Originally Posted by Si Wood View Post
    Thanks Ken. Yes I was hoping for a set screw as well but there isn't one. It looks to me the woodruff key is slipped in as the shaft/cutter head is being re-assembled into position. The bronze gear is held in place with a grove pin but there's not a lot of room to try to push it thru. Seems to me that if i could slide the bronze gear out of position it may help removing that worm gear but im not sure...
    Sorry about my mistake Si! That split pin looked like a set screw to my old eyes. Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Welcome Si! Glad you've joined us!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Si Wood View Post
    Follow up - Those links you shared were the golden ticket! now.... to dig up dad's puller
    Great, I figured that would be pretty much the roadmap you were looking for

By the way, me and my family are doing well after the cold "event" we had last week, thanks for your concern. We were without grid power for 4 days, but I have a few generators to keep things comfortable when needed. There are plenty of folks down here not so lucky. I moved south here (from northern PA) about 24 yrs ago, so the weather was like an "awakening". I could finally demonstrate to my now college age kids what it was really like to walk uphill in the snow both ways to school LoL
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 02-26-2021 at 10:52 AM.

No harm done at all...I came by seeking different views cause i think I had been staring at it too long. Thank yous to Brad. He pointed me in the right direction, so now, I'll start peeling my planer apart taking lots of pictures along the way....so I remember how to put it back together!

Thanks Fred. It didn't take long to feel Welcomed here. Great place to hang out!