Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Collinite 885, 845 paste waxes for table saws, jointers etc. and silicone

One drop of silicone in a shop can make the finishing process a nightmare. Silicone will spread around like Covid. Sat next to some finishers at a woodworking conference once. Their company had a list of deodorant they could use and absolutely forbid hand lotions and face makeup for the gals.

Woah, deodorant!! I can understand the lotion and make up, but deodorant! I can't imagine it floats through the air, I guess people do get itchy though. Tough job. Thanks for the info, I'm starting to be convinced

Auto manufacturing paint shops are really careful about silicone. Every product brought on site must be certified silicone free, even during construction and maintenance. Even the elevator repairman can't bring his service truck on site. One problem is that it transfers by touch. Another is the huge cost to fix vehicles that may have been painted for hours at a rate of 60 per hour. That kind of disruption can idle hundreds of workers till it's corrected.

Wow, that is insane.

You guys have some convincing arguments against silicone.

I think I’ll be cleaning off the bit I tried on my bandsaw today. I guess wd40 followed by denatured alcohol should get most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Evans View Post
    Wow, that is insane.

You guys have some convincing arguments against silicone.

I think I’ll be cleaning off the bit I tried on my bandsaw today. I guess wd40 followed by denatured alcohol should get most of it.
    Not sure that will work. But I am sure Naptha and mineral spirits will remove silicone. Multiple wipes with a fresh cloth each time.

John

Thanks a lot John. I have some Coleman camp fuel, which I believe is naphtha, and some mineral spirits of course.

its a concern,
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-27-2021 at 11:18 AM.

That's a pretty long distance. Did they work with garage doors open? Crazy to think about where else the spray went.
    Yes, the overhead doors were open on both buildings. South Florida gets pretty hot, even in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Not sure that will work. But I am sure Naptha and mineral spirits will remove silicone. Multiple wipes with a fresh cloth each time.

John
    Auto body shops buy a product labeled silicone remover.

Alfie Shine is pretty cool stuff, might work for you. The guy who makes it posts regularly on one of the FB forums and named it after his dog. Available on amazon.

Hi Josh,

The Renaissance wax seems to last longer on jointer tables, etc. than Johnson's paste wax, so over time maybe not so much more expensive.
    It would be great to see a test of various waxes.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Hi Weogo,

I've been using the camellia oil for a while on hand tools, too. Never tried the renaissance wax, that's is some pricey wax. Is it better than other paste waxes you've used, if so, why?

I think WD40 contains silicone.

The regular version? I know they have lots of variants.

I never hear many woodworkers bashing wd40, but I hear lots of bad stuff about silicone. I don’t use it much but I did just use it to clean my old cast iron tops.

Years ago I worked in a shop painting trucks. The mechanics sometimes used silicone spray on the windshield gaskets. We cleaned around the windows and used a product in the paint called Fisheye Eliminator. It did the job.
    Charlie Jones

hey john - i just got some of this, and it's great! as you said, no need to wipe it off, and it's slick as can be. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    No knowledge of that wax but anything with silicone in it would not get near my shop. Why take a chance when there are plenty of other waxes to choose from. In that regard, Lundmark's Paste Wax works really well for me and has very low odor. Made in American, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Lundmark-Wax-...s%2C187&sr=8-2

John