Thread: Figured purpleheart

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Figured purpleheart

As I've said before, I'm all about the wood. Happened on some figured purpleheart in 1" board form, and used it to exercise a John Jordan-style square(ish) platter pattern. Need to thank John for the design idea -- I don't know if he came up with it, but his work was the first place I saw it and I quickly added it to my list of common forms. I really like it not only for its simple grace, but it's really good for nice wood in board form, because more of the board ends up in the finished piece. John recommends 1.5-2" stock, but this was just 1" and I've done it with 7/8" when that's what I have. I've also done the same form with rectangular stock, though that can get kind of goofy in how the underside profile is reflected in the top profile; I turn these so the edge is of consistent thickness, so the top profile has to follow the bottom profile until you're inside the entire edge. If the piece is square, that's not an issue, but if it's a rectangle that's very far from square, it can get weird, and you have to think carefully about the profile of the underside before you reverse the piece. I keep telling myself I'm going to start working on decorating the underside like John does, but haven't made that leap yet.

Anyway, just couldn't believe the figure in this wood, and especially nice since the figure will remain once the color begins to brown. Forgive the fisheye effect of the photo, the piece is actually completely symmetrical. Someday I'm going to have to get a real camera and set up a place to take proper pictures.

Best,

Dave

Capture3.JPG Capture5.JPG
    Last edited by Dave Mount; 02-25-2021 at 1:38 PM. Reason: typo