Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chainsaw problem

Here is the kit I ordered, it’s 45mm but designed to fit the 51 epa too.
    I can install a compression release on this one.
    https://www.hlsproparts.com/product-p/503609171.htm

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Check this site, I have one and it is good.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...80v%20chainsaw
    I have the 80v kobalt lawnmower so I would consider getting that one too but need a lot of power for clearing after hurricanes.
    I was about to cut down a Chinese Tallow tree due to all the greasy stuff that falls off it and onto my driveway when I found this one inoperable.

I went with the Ryobi 40 volt because I had the string trimmer. I've been quite happy with it. Surprising battery life and power. The nice thing is it doesn't matter if I use it twice a week or once every two years there aren't any gas issues from sitting unused. Oh the other big plus....is it's quiet. Only the whirr of the motor and chain. When I burnt wood for heat a gas saw was a no brainer. I get that you like/need to have a saw that performs when you have a hurricane clean up. Good that you have the skills to do this rebuild. Good luck on it.

Finally got the rest of the parts and got it running today.
    What I learned was that the smaller saws are harder to pull since they don’t have a decompression valve. Add in some carbon buildup and the cord might break before a really strong person could pull it. I put in a larger cylinder/piston that accepts a decompression valve. It lasted 20 years with heavy use the first few years. Only buy one that has a decompression valve is my advice. They are self closing once the saw starts running.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Roper (Sears) from 1973 has compression release. Otherwise there is no way I could crank it when I bought it fifty years ago, much less today.

My hotrod 066 had an aftermarket larger cylinder put on it, and it doesn't have a compression release. I put toes of my right foot in the back handle, and the left foot has to hold it down on top of the loop handle.

Sounds like the piston is getting gunked up.