Thread: My Biggest Woodworking Project to Date

My Biggest Woodworking Project to Date

My son has a retail business and built a new building 3 times the size of his old one. He asked me to help him design and build his cash wrap for his new store.

The counter is 28 feet long with a section that wraps around to the wall. We built it in sections, 6 almost identical sections and 3 for the wrap around. We worked on it only one or two days a week and probably spent a total of six week in design and build.

This is a one of the 6 sections:
    IMG_20201122_134540656.jpg

The corner section was the most difficult:
    IMG_20201122_134602584.jpg

The other 2 sections were modifications of the first 6 sections. This is the cash wrap before the countertop, and after the counter top was installed, he bought the counter top from a local building supply company.

366590c4-f360-4189-bb14-0b086c1557ad.jpg 0113b02d-18ac-4ef7-984d-867830089c1a.jpg

Notice the corner section in the assemble picture is different from the original picture, the counter top required 22.5° angles so we had to modify it to accommodate that.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Your design maximizes the height with the minimal amount of wood. This is not as strong but with so many units together it will not matter. Your build method is base level cost wise. I do build commercial fixtures at the opposite end of the spectrum! Mine are for health care settings.
    Glad you added some shelving and baskets, lot of wasted space otherwise!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Your design maximizes the height with the minimal amount of wood. This is not as strong but with so many units together it will not matter. Your build method is base level cost wise. I do build commercial fixtures at the opposite end of the spectrum! Mine are for health care settings.
    Glad you added some shelving and baskets, lot of wasted space otherwise!
    Thanks William, I think, I added the shelves but my son added the baskets, when he gets the front of the wrap done I'll provide more pictures.
    Anonyms

This is the completed "cash wrap".

a5ae584b-a492-444e-be2f-de0d15e9a3ea.jpg
    Anonyms

Blog Entries
    Looks good Jim.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Looking Good... I'm sure your son likes it.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Thanks guys, a lot of the credit goes to our son, he did all the finish work.
    Anonyms

Credit to you both...it turned out great.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Kudos to you and your son. Massive project indeed. Looks great. I’m glad to see retail doing well in these times...best wishes to him and his business.