Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley 71 Router Plane Adjustment Nut Needed

Stanley 71 Router Plane Adjustment Nut Needed

Does anyone know where I can get the top adjustment knurled nut for the Stanley 71 Router Plane? I have one that I need the adjust nut that moves the blade up and down. I'm not looking for an original adjustment nut, just something that will make this router plane work as it should.

TIA....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I had to go on that auction site(Fee-Bay) to find one for my Stanley 71-1/2 ( same nut, BTW)....cost was just over $20!......good luck..

Blog Entries
    It is almost impossible to find a speciality nut like the top hat nut used on a router plane. Beyond that, Stanley used odd threads for everything. The likely hood of finding something off the shelf that will work is unlikely. That is why those that's got 'em, charge a lot for them.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-25-2021 at 1:21 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim and Steven are right. Try nhplaneparts dot com. Even if they don’t have a part listed on the website, I’ve found that they usually have it. A little more expensive, but also a less Wild West than the auction site.

Is there a way for me to find out what the thread size is? I mean, I can probably get one made for it fairly easy.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Is there a way for me to find out what the thread size is? I mean, I can probably get one made for it fairly easy.
    My router plane is one of the few Sargent planes in my shop. Hopefully someone with the knowledge or a Stanley router and a thread gauge can help here.

Unless you have a volunteer machinist it will likely cost less to purchase one from someone who specializes in selling parts.

One thing you might try is if you have a Stanley plane, remove the nut holding the knob on and see if that fits on the router plane.
    If it does, that would indicate it is a 12-20 pitch screw. That is a thread size commonly used by Stanley. Also visually compare the screws as a double check.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Both of mine (different vintages) have a 24 tpi so I’m guessing 12-24 for the threads. No to see if I have a screw or nut to check with.
    Jim

so just went through my taps and it is a 1/4”x24.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Ritter; 02-25-2021 at 3:37 PM.
    Ancora Yacht Service

I went online to find a 1/4" x 24 TPI tap and found one at ,Mutual Screw & Supply. I will check the screw size when I go down to shop tonight. I don't know if the screw diameter is .218 or .250.
    I wish I had metal lathe and bridgeport and a surface grinder because I would love to supply miscellaneous vintage parts.
    That nut could be knurled with straight knurls with a dremel or hacksaw if one did not have a lathe, and wanted to buy the tap.

Stanley sells them for $4.50. Never mind. Says no longer available.

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/planes-routerplanes.html

I've looked to try and find one. No luck.
    I have a few brass billets that I can cut and get with a buddy of mine to make some of these with the 1/4"x24 tpi threads. I have ONE on a complete router plane and was looking for another adjuster nut for the other router plane. I guess I'll need to order a 1/4"x24 tap and die from some place. The posts on my router planes measure: 0.250" and the other measures 0.249" to include the thread height.
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 02-26-2021 at 3:02 PM.
    Dennis -

Blog Entries
    I've looked to try and find one. No luck.
    Check here > https://www.victornet.com/subdepartm...-1-2/1260.html < they do have a $25 minimum order.

Look through the rest of their site. You are sure to find something that will empty your wallet to the tune of $25. My tendency is to make sure my drill index is full or other odd tap/die sizes are on hand.

jtk

McMaster Carr carries them also, no minimum I am aware of or maybe I just always spend more. Freakishly fast shipping, usually next day.
    if someone is interested in just a one off I’d be willing to send my 1/4-24 tap for them to use with a promise to return when finished. Shouldn’t cost much to ship. I’d make a couple myself but my lathe is still in storage from the move. I barely have a Woodworking shop.
    Pm me if interested.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

I ordered the Router Plane cutters from Lee Valley. The 1/4" cutter fits perfectly in the router plane. One router plane working. Now to find a local 1/4" x 24 tpi tap to make my own brass knob for the other router plane.
    Dennis -

My offer still stands.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

About like this...
    Router cutter package.JPG
    Router cutter un-packed.JPG
    Removed the 1/2" cutter, flip the wheel nut over..
    Router cutter installed.JPG
    Test fit into the case..
    Router cutter fits.JPG
    And, see IF the lid will close...
    Router Cutter case closed.JPG
    Works for me...