Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops, I reversed my pins and tails

Oops, I reversed my pins and tails

How big of issue is reversing the pins and tails on a kitchen drawer? I used TB3 to glue it together.

I know I won't have the mechanical strength but do I really need it?

All that glue surface will make a very strong joint, no worries. Soft close slides would add more safety factor too.

If you are using ball bearing slides, it matters not. If not, it may matter, a little.

Amateur, but just thinking this though...I don’t thing it will make an issue short term. Theoretically over time if the glue fails, you might pull the front off, although that seems very unlikely.

Blog Entries
    If the joints are snug you'll have no issue with it. With modern adhesives, dovetails are really more of an esthetic thing. I love the look of dovetails, especially when they are not made with a jig.

If you do it again: the Seas will boil, the Sky will open an a Host of Angels will descend apon the Earth.

When no one will validate their parking, the whole thing will get called off.

Surely somewhere, someone has made a YouTube video with hydraulic jack equipped with a pressure gauge breaking dovetail joints apart in both directions. Monsieur Googlée, do your thing!

It's an issue it you had the drawers sized for the openings properly. Reversing pins and tails changes the sizing. Don't ask how I know. lol

Matthew, I did that with a chest of drawers I built my son 16 years ago (then 11 years old) ...

Not only has it been strong, but it has withstood three moves he has made, taking it with him.

He has no idea that the dovetails are reversed, and we will keep it as our little secret

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    How big of issue is reversing the pins and tails on a kitchen drawer? I used TB3 to glue it together.

I know I won't have the mechanical strength but do I really need it?
    Sounds like a box joint; a tricky joint to do well by hand.

Are these through-dovetails with a separate drawer face, or are you seeing pins through the drawer front?

Matt

I assume this is what you meant by reversing pins and tails (see below). This joint relies exclusively on the friction fit between the pins and tails and more importantly the glue bond. Of course, on a tiny drawer like this, it also matters not. if you are building kitchen cabinets and using, e.g., Accuride or Blum drawer slides, then the forces on this joint would be minimal. If on the other hand you were not using drawer slides, this pin/tail reversal would be problematic.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    I assume this is what you meant by reversing pins and tails (see below). This joint relies exclusively on the friction fit between the pins and tails and more importantly the glue bond. Of course, on a tiny drawer like this, it also matters not. if you are building kitchen cabinets and using, e.g., Accuride or Blum drawer slides, then the forces on this joint would be minimal. If on the other hand you were not using drawer slides, this pin/tail reversal would be problematic.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Yes. Like this pic. Through dovetails. With addition face. I will not see the through dovetails.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Yes. Like this pic. Through dovetails. With addition face. I will not see the through dovetails.
    OK: so are you using drawer slides?

If the tails and pins are similar in size, reversing will not affect the strength of the joint. The use of a drawer slide is irrelevant.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    If the tails and pins are similar in size, reversing will not affect the strength of the joint. The use of a drawer slide is irrelevant.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

He reversed the orientation just like if you would take a normal drawer and rotate it 90 degrees...no the same way as in your picture in the post above...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!