Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A good utility knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is my current user:

Attachment 453037

It has worked well for me so far.

jtk
    I have 4 or 5 of these (couple in the shop, couple in garage, out in the barn...) because I find them to work well and hold up. The only trouble I've had with them is after breaking down a bunch of cardboard boxes and getting little pieces of packing tape jammed in next to the blade making it difficult to close until they are removed. I think that happens to all of them, except the fixed blade type.
    I also have several of the dewalt small (9mm) breakaway blade knives. The are all metal (except for the button), sturdy, and operate smoothly. I keep one in my apron pocket because it is small and light and can be extended quite a bit to use as a marking knife in a pinch.

https://www.authorizedtooloutlet.com...SABEgKdVfD_BwE

[eta:] Dewalt also makes a 18mm snap off knife; no experience with that one, I like the smaller version.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Seng View Post
    Best one I've ever had - perhaps the same one that Bernie referred to:

Attachment 453022

$8 at Home Depot.
    Yes, that’s the one.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    The only one I use is a stanley that has a fixed replaceable blade. It is so much better to use then the retractable ones.
    Me too. Supplied by an employer in the late 70’s. For decades I kept it in a holster made from wide masking tape as was the style at the time. Lol
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use these and have been very pleased with them. No way they are going to close while the business end is in use...

Attachment 453049 Attachment 453050
    Second that recommendation.

I just wish they made them in orange instead of black so the would be (slightly) harder to lose.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I'm sure I own every one posted here, and others, but only one each of those, bought on trial. This is my favorite, and I keep them in a number of different places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j95TFJFeKNM
    Do standard blades fit in the Lenox knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Second that recommendation.

I just wish they made them in orange instead of black so the would be (slightly) harder to lose.
    My other one is red, Lee. I got them at HD and they had both black and red. The belt hook sometimes comes loose and since I don't use it, I remove it, but a small Allen wrench will tighten things back up quickly.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Fo...9979/311920676

oooh...looks like they have a wood handle version, too

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Wo...9736/303741410

And then there's rare but deadly combo utility knife/"sporting" (pocket) knife...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2-...9978/312050315
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-25-2021 at 7:04 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Do standard blades fit in the Lenox knife?
    Yes, standard blades fit, and there is plenty of room in the easily opened, but stays closed while using, handle, to store several more in a protected edge fashion.

To remove a blade, and insert a new one, you push the extension activator forward, and to the right side. That moves the plunger that holds the blade in to the side, allowing removal, or insertion. You can see how it operates by opening the door, and activating the mechanism.

The handle is thick, rounded, and very comfortable. The angle of the blade is very comfortable to use too.

The last I looked, they go for about 16 bucks, and rarely ever go on sale. Home Depot stopped carrying them a couple of years ago, but Lowes still does.

They also make a smaller, fixed blade version, but I've never felt I needed one, since this one works so well.

My other one is red, Lee. I got them at HD and they had both black and red. The belt hook sometimes comes loose and since I don't use it, I remove it, but a small Allen wrench will tighten things back up quickly.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Fo...9979/311920676
    Cool! Haven't seen those at mine yet but I'll take a closer look, or just order them online.

[EDIT] I think I see the problem: I've been buying the 3-packs in black...probably just overlooked the red singles.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 02-25-2021 at 9:58 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Yes, there have been various combos, Lee. I actually think my black one and red one came in the same package as a "two-fur".

I actually like having at least two because invariably, one of them is involved in some home improvement project and that means there's still one in the shop...they get frequent use.
    --

I actually like having at least two because invariably, one of them is involved in some home improvement project and that means there's still one in the shop...they get frequent use.
    Let's see...three in the garage, one on the kitchen desk, one on the upstairs desk, one in the car console.

And I've bought three (that I remember) of the triple sets, so I've got at least a 1-in-3 loss ratio. I'm hoping the red handles will help with that.

Having the same gripes, this thread got me interested so I stopped at Lowes and looked around. Came home with a Lennox with a blade that is always out, eliminating the offending buttons, knobs etc., and it is on the fat side, making it easy to hold.

The new thing I found which I was unaware of was CARBIIDE blades. Never knew they existed, so I brought some home also.

Anyone use them.

PS: My main use for the box cutter is boxes. With the Covid thing, the Amazon growth, and living with four gals, we seem to have a never ending stream of cardboard coming to our door. Guess who gets to knock down all those boxes to fit in the recycle barrel?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    The new thing I found which I was unaware of was CARBIIDE blades. Never knew they existed, so I brought some home also.
    Not cheap, I'd expect. (checks Borg website) Yup, about 4X the regular ones.

And the tip usually gets broken off long before the edge loses sharpness, especially when opening or knocking down boxes. Not sure how the carbide helps with that.

Rick, I hear you on the box recycling...both our very large bins are currently filled due to storm related delays in pickup and we have a whole bunch more waiting to go out when we finally get a pickup this coming Monday. Our recycling output always eclipses our trash output. We keep a dedicated knife in the kitchen knife drawer for this stuff!
    --

I like the carbide blades when working with sheetrock. I'm not sure they are really cost effective for that, but they reduce the hassle of (as) frequent blade changes. Sheetrock dulls regular blades really fast.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Still not sure about the carbide blades, given that I have about 75 regular ones left in my current pack of 100.

But one line in an Amazon review did catch my eye: "This is like the John Wick of box cutters."