Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goto place for lumber in NJ??

Goto place for lumber in NJ??

So I am sure NJ mainly for wood shop items among other things. I had to drive all the way to norwalk CT just to check out woodcraft. Any suggestions on places in the area for wood? I found one cool place that has a huge amount of rough and ready milled boards, but its sort of expensive. Willing to drive if the price and quality of wood is good to pick up.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-25-2021 at 8:29 AM.

From you post I am assuming North Jersey. Can't help you there, but if you are South Jersey I have a few spots in PA I use.

I am located in North NJ correct, however I am willing to drive if the wood is good pickings. I mean up to a certain point. I don't think I will drive to Pittsburgh for wood.

Willard Brothers in Trenton has a good selection and I patronize them from time to time. I buy my domestics mostly at Bucks County Hardwoods in Danboro (outside of Doylestown PA) most of the time. For the really special stuff, I make the drive to Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford PA. That would be a longer haul for you, but it would be a very nice day trip on a nice day...candy store for sure.

BTW, there's a Woodcraft in Allentown PA not far off I-78/Rt 22. That "might" be more convenient for you than Norwalk.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If your going all the way to Hearnes, you might go a little further to Groff and Groff in Quarryville.

AMC Hardwood outlet in Marcus Hook PA has good prices, mostly surfaced stuff. I was only there once, but for surfaced stuff, which I don't really buy often, I liked it. They have a price list on line.

There is a sawmill guy right off the exit of US 1 at Kennet Square, but I forget his name. He advertises on Craig's List Lancaster once in a while.

Closer for you is Bucks County Hardwood that Jim mentioned. Never been there, but it's on my bucket list>

Boards and Beams in Fairfield is decent for hardwood lumber. Their slabs are pricey, though.

Most of the places I have used have been mentioned, another is Monteath in Sayreville. Mostly domestics, tend to think they are on the high side but are convenient for me.

Also M.L. Condon in White Plains, NY plus with a warehouse up in Dutchess County, NY just of I-84.

http://www.condonlumber.net/

This question arises frequently. There are loads of enthusiast woodworkers but few retail suppliers remaining in Northern New Jersey.

The inestimable Brian Holcombe (finest quality solo woodworker) recommended Mike Quinn in an earlier post.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....839&highlight=

I live in a part of the Country where the second generation of pole barns and mills are being rendered for (re)usable lumber. I got my stash through Woodfinder.

https://www.woodfinder.com/

Thanks for mentioning that, Jim. I for some reason always forget about Mike Quinn, despite him being nearby...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys for all the input. I did go to boards and beams. That place was very cool and a little overwhelming my first trip but it was nice. thought their prices seemed a bit steep but I will try the others further away to comparison. I also heard from someone the place in white plains so thats like 45 drive for me.

Rosenzweig Lumber
    801 E 135th St
    Bronx, NY 10454
    https://www.rosenzweiglumber.com/

Not too far over the GW Bridge from NJ.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-26-2021 at 8:41 AM. Reason: Increased font size

Forgot - Singh Hardwood out by JFK is also good and they're open on Saturday until Noon.

Singh Hardwood
    50-01 Rockaway Beach Blvd.
    Far Rockaway, NY 11691
    http://singhhardwood.com

I’ll add the following. You’re closer than I am to New Hampton, but Seth had very nice red cedar at a good price that I needed for a pergola I built in the fall. I’ve also bought from Mike Quinn, who’s a good guy. I used to buy from Willard Bros but stopped after they changed ownership.

New Hampton Lumber Co.
    www.newhamptonlumberco.com
    845-374-8012

And here if you don’t mind driving a little. John has nice slabs and dimensional hardwoods.

Bucks County Hardwoods
    https://buckscountyhardwoods.com/
    215-230-7079
    Last edited by Jeff Ramsey; 02-26-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Boards and beams is pretty good for in NJ. Their prices are not too bad. If you spend 1500 or so they will give you contractor discount.

I really like Hearne in PA its probably 3 hours from you though. I really only buy once a year so a long trip isnt bad.

i have been to willard 5 times and have only once bought anything. Prices are high and the lumber isnt the best Boards and beams is a much better deal for rough cut.

I stopped by NJwood forever a few weeks back. hes just setting up his new operation bought a couple slabs for a ridiculous price and they are less than 10 minutes away. He was drying walnut when i was there so i will probably take a trip back shortly.