Thread: Powermatic 1285 12" jointer opinions

Powermatic 1285 12" jointer opinions

So I just got this machine after waiting for it to be on back order for 3 months. Overall I think its pretty good. All the knobs are metal and not plastic. All i had to do was put the fence on and even that wasnt too bad. I think it took longer to wipe the grease off then to put the fence on. I had to set the height on the outfeed table and add my own cord, but overall the tables are flat after hearing horror stories. It does snipe a little bit on the last inch of the board, but I guess that's the nature of the beast. Keep in mind when they pick the machine up with a forklift 25 times on its way from China the lag bolts get pushed out of the pallet, so it won't be bolted to the pallet anymore by the time it gets here. The Chinese crumbled up newspaper in the cabinet was a nice touch. Wish I could read it. Lol You will have to go and buy your own strain relief connector and power cord since it's just a hole in the little pecker box or whatever it's called.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    It does snipe a little bit on the last inch of the board, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.
    Maybe for some planers but I don't think that should be normal for a jointer if the beds are aligned properly and parallel with each other.

Alan

You should be able to adjust the outfeed table to eliminate jointer snipe.

Probably could have posted this in your other thread about your nee $6500 jointer. Maybe you should do some alignment of the tables to make the complainer and the cutterhead parallel to the out feed table. You know, normal setup procedures?
    Last edited by Matt Day; 02-24-2021 at 10:03 PM.

For what you paid for the POWERMATIC ,I would expect no snipe, at least based on how some people on this board "BRAG" about them. However even back when they were cast and made in the US of A. they had to be checked and adjusted when in final location. I do own Powermatic and setup/used Powermatic tools back in 80's.

With all of that being said GOOD LUCK and ENJOY a nice jointer. It should bring a smile to your face every time you use it after you have it adjusted.
    Ron

Travis ,just raise the outfeed table until the snipe is eliminated.

I'll raise it a tad more.

I set it up how it said in the directions. Place a straight edge so it's just up against the cutterhead. Still get a bit of snipe.

Doesn’t really matter if the outfeed table is the same height as the cutterhead. Are the beds complainer to each other? If you need links to setting up machinery properly, let us know.

As others have said, snipe like that on a jointer is almost certainly an outfeed table that’s too low.
    Still waters run deep.

I raised it up more Phillip. Definitely a big difference. I hear a smooth cut all the way through where before you could hear it snipe.

if you understand how a jointer works then you should not have snipe. Snipe would mean as the work rests on the outfeed the blades are taller than the outfeed bed. Iy you get any snipe that is why. If you don't see the gap, you need a new straight edge. If you had a straight piece of wood you could use the stick method and if the blade was higher the stick would move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UsaxqTlwcY
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Just raising the out feed table isn’t enough. You need have good straightedges and go through the whole setup process. I outfitted my whole shop with bigger used machinery for far less than $6500. You need to properly setup the machine! Not just raise the outfeed table. Adjust the tables to coplaner and the head parallel with the outfeed! Omg

What I’m getting at is he spent a ton of money on that machine, set it up properly so it produces the best possible results.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 02-25-2021 at 1:52 PM.

Yep, the out feed table must go up a little more. Use tiny steps and you will get there. If you go too high,you will have to drop down
    and start all over , as the wood will climb and be cut concave

Every time we get one of these ...I think of the old oft used TV plot where a plane pilot keels over at the wheel....er..”stick”, and a
    passenger has to land the plane using instructions from the ground. “Ok ,don’t panic....pull up just a little on the stick”