Thread: Next Wave advice

Next Wave advice

I am brand new to the CNC world and am looking at buying my first machine. I am leaning to the Shark 510 by Next Wave and would like to get your opinions for that machine. Its space is a fit for me and the price is good and they have a promotion that they will include the water cooled spindle at no charge, an $800.00 item. I have also downloaded a free version or their software and found it fairly easy to learn. Any advice or other information you might pass on is appreciated.

Thank You

I bought shark as first cnc and wasn't impressed with the material it was constructed out of as I found it was not very rigid and while it did the job it just too much work cleaning up the work piece by hand afterwards. A water cooled spindle is nice but you can buy one with a VFD for maybe $200. Just do your research on the brand before you make a decision. You can also look at their forum and usually find a used one for sale when people move up to a better machine.

I understand that they have made some changes to their machines to make them more rigid. The new 500 series is their newest, which one did you have? Also I would be interested in hearing your recommendations on any other machine. I believe I want a machine that can be run with a pendant and that is one thing that attracted me to the Shark. I am still so new to this would you tell me what what the VFD refers to? Thanks

I do not know of anywhere you can purchase a water cooled spindle and VFD for $200? Even the cheap ones are at least $400 for ones that work.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa. , LightObject 40w CO2 Laser and Chiller , WorkBee 1000x750 CNC Router - Mach4 - Windows 10

It was an older one but I looked at them last time I was in Rocklers and grabbed the spindle and it still was moving. Maybe they fixed it on that model. I can't personally recommend any other smaller machines but you will find a lot of info on here about different ones.
    VFD is a variable frequency drive.

Bill, I just looked at Amazon and saw several around $250, I should have said under$300. I'm not saying they are good ones or bad ones but spindles have come way down lately. I didn't bother looking at ebay. I did look at Rocklers and saw the spindle setup they sell for the shark at $800. It is $358 on Amazon so a bit more than $200 but closer to $200 than 800

You have to wonder if those $249 and $300 spindles with VFD and mounts that LOOK the same as the $800 ones are the real thing or just another Chinese knock off?? When I purchased mine I looked for a good seller in the USA and a made in Japan VFD as I heard all about those horror stories. Who wants to be in the middle of say a 4 or 5 hour job and have it stop working?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa. , LightObject 40w CO2 Laser and Chiller , WorkBee 1000x750 CNC Router - Mach4 - Windows 10

Not sure. I have heard of people saying they bought and used some and had no issue. I know I swapped mine for a no name ATC spindle out of Vietnam seller on ebay at a really cheap price for an ATC and it has been running strong for a long time. I am just guessing that it is a Chinese made but it could have been made anywhere but it is probably the best purchase I have made for my cnc. If I was looking for a small spindle like those I might give one a try at that price to just see but that's taking into consideration that it goes on a hobby machine not a money maker.

Quote Originally Posted by ken fountain View Post
    I am brand new to the CNC world and am looking at buying my first machine. I am leaning to the Shark 510 by Next Wave and would like to get your opinions for that machine. Its space is a fit for me and the price is good and they have a promotion that they will include the water cooled spindle at no charge, an $800.00 item. I have also downloaded a free version or their software and found it fairly easy to learn. Any advice or other information you might pass on is appreciated.

Thank You
    Ken, I purchased an HD520 back in October. New Wave had the same deal going then with the spindle, so I have that as well. I had read a lot of negatives about the earlier models of the Shark, but the latest HD510/520 models have a lot of upgrades that address the problems. Specifically, they have added steel plates on the sides of the plastic legs of the gantry, aluminum mounting brackets for the router/spindle instead of plastic, and precision "THK"-style rails/bearings on the X and Z axis instead of rods/bushings. It is definitely a hobbyist level machine, but I consider this my 1st machine to learn the software and process and will upgrade if/when I'm ready to move to the next level. I was able to pick up on the software quickly, but I have been using AutoCAD for years. Happy with it so far, and I learn something new everything I do a project on it. If you want to talk further about it, please let me know.