Thread: Outdoor TV cabinet?

Outdoor TV cabinet?

I was looking at mounting an indoor TV outside... I see a few expensive options out there, but I’m curious if I can make something at a lower cost. (The height of the TV would make one of the cheaper fabric covers a bit difficult).

While this should be a simple project, I’ve brain stormed several ways of achieving this (in terms of design and in terms of materials), but I’m curious what you all can muster up!

The TV is 65”, so that would make a very large enclosure, which complicates things to an extent (My initial thought was a PVC or Wood cover that just slides over a frame mounted on the wall.... Or an attached front panel that lifts up: but sizing the appropriate gas struts seems daunting..)

I made a 100" outdoor tv about 15 years ago when I lived in S FL. But I went a different route. I enclosed a pull down screen in a wood frame in the landscaping that kind of looked like a trellis when not in use. Then I mounted a projector in a wood case on the patio along with a dvd player and cable box. Covered with a grill cover when not in use. Worked great but only after dark. What ever you do the electronics will fail prematurely from breathing the humidity. My first projector (which breathes a lot they get very hot) lasted 3 years, but it was a used one I bought on ebay for about $200 so I just bought another one. My backyard was pretty popular for Monday night football.

Blog Entries
    We have a professional cornhole court setup at our place (yeah, I play a lot of beanbag toss! ha ha) and I built a mini-shed to house a normal ol' Roku TV. It's been out for a couple years now all year round and is working just fine still... even if it eventually dies, the Roku's are about $150 to replace (in this case TV is smallish around 42 inches). We also store candles, cornhole gear, etc. in the cabinet.

I imagine you could streamline the same idea into more of a wall mount arrangement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

My first house in Arlington VA had no air conditioning. I put the Color TV on a rolling stand so I could wheel it outdoors on summer evenings. It was too damn humid. Some evenings there would be a buzz start inside the TV even with a piece of plastic set loosely over the top. Got another TV when that one died and had the same problem. Now that was back in the old days of analog TV and picture tubes. Where we live now is on the edge of a large woods and an outside TV would just draw insects. Maybe if the porch was screened.