Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think she may have a point.....

I think she may have a point.....

The ever lovely Mrs Marriedtoawoodworker and I were "discussing" where I was going to put the next project - a Krenov style humidor with 4 doors, 48" wide - and to make her point she got up and counted the pieces I've made that are in our great room. Just the one room. Came up to 21 things in the room that I've made. She announced the total and stood there looking at me. I paused for 5 or 10 seconds and suggested we needed to put an addition on the back of the house. That pretty much ended the conversation, but I have a feeling it ain't over.

That our wives and husbands put up with our noise, saw dust, spending and all around woodworkerisnness is seldom acknowledged. And it should be.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

It’s a good point Bill. I’ve been trying to make a Cherry hall table for our entryway and she finally talked me into a Bench, since we have an Oak sofa table in our entryway. Lol. But you’re right, she never says anything about the sawdust I track in from my garage workshop every day.

I agree Bill.
    21 pieces is impressive but can we discuss the 48” wide humidor? That’s a lot of cigars! I’m not a smoker but am thinking you have a fine collection. I’ll be using your humidor as “exhibit A” when I negotiate the dimensions of the whisky cabinet I want to build soon lol!
    Thanks and good luck with your future negotiations.
    David

Just tell her you plan to remodel the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Just tell her you plan to remodel the kitchen.
    I tried that once but she called my bluff. I can’t recommend it...

Blog Entries
    LOML and I weren't discussing projects, but you post caused me to look around. Currently in our living room there are 15 projects I have made, not counting the wood trim, display stool for the bay window and wall opening to the room.

Total projects in the house is at least 60, not counting drywall and kitchen redesign (I didn't make the cabinets). It also doesn't include any projects for the shop which is attached to the house. I currently have one project for our bedroom underway in the shop.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-24-2021 at 9:26 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    I agree Bill.
    21 pieces is impressive but can we discuss the 48” wide humidor? That’s a lot of cigars! I’m not a smoker but am thinking you have a fine collection. I’ll be using your humidor as “exhibit A” when I negotiate the dimensions of the whisky cabinet I want to build soon lol!
    David
    David that is not nearly big enough for a whiskey problem, I mean cabinet! I think the one I helped a buddy build is 2 cabinets at around 3'x5'
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Hey guys....you have it hard. My husband is more or less kindly oblivious to my woodworking habit! He likes the design and execution of the trim in our home, which I made. As far as other pieces, I'll say something like "I'm thinking of designing and making X". He shrugs and says okay, then asks the obligatory question like "What type of wood are you thinking of using" to show interest. That's all the discussion there will ever be unless I bring up some design question or ask his preference on some detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Hey guys....you have it hard. My husband is more or less kindly oblivious to my woodworking habit! He likes the design and execution of the trim in our home, which I made. As far as other pieces, I'll say something like "I'm thinking of designing and making X". He shrugs and says okay, then asks the obligatory question like "What type of wood are you thinking of using" to show interest. That's all the discussion there will ever be unless I bring up some design question or ask his preference on some detail.
    Hang on to that guy Lisa! My wife loves the pieces I make (esp the ones for her) it's just a question of where to put them. Running out of room.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    That our wives and husbands put up with our noise, saw dust, spending and all around woodworkerisnness is seldom acknowledged. And it should be.
    Maybe consider a different aspect of woodworking?

I have a friend with at 50 things on display in his house. They are mostly small woodturnings, a few medium-sized. His wife is proud of them and him.

Like many woodturners, he also makes a number of things every year for donations to charities and to club programs that sell them and give the money to charities. He also volunteers teaching woodturning to young people. Just some ideas for other directions for creative outlet for your prolific woodworking enthusiasm.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fox View Post
    David that is not nearly big enough for a whiskey problem, I mean cabinet! I think the one I helped a buddy build is 2 cabinets at around 3'x5'
    Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    I agree Bill.
    David
    It's what I get for not ever having an actual plan. This one started with a nice book matched set of walnut flitches that I saved for cabinet doors. Then I found another, shorter BM set of walnut, so I figured them on either side, then I looked at Krenov cabinets and thought on legs - of course. But what will it be - a humidor. And now you know as much as I do about what it's going to wind up being.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Maybe consider a different aspect of woodworking?

I have a friend with at 50 things on display in his house. They are mostly small woodturnings, a few medium-sized. His wife is proud of them and him.

Like many woodturners, he also makes a number of things every year for donations to charities and to club programs that sell them and give the money to charities. He also volunteers teaching woodturning to young people. Just some ideas for other directions for creative outlet for your prolific woodworking enthusiasm.

JKJ

I'm afraid that if I start wood turning I'll never come back. Did it for a while 50 years ago and it was addicting. And yes, I'm trying to find a fund raising silent auction and they'll be getting one of the Morris chairs I built. And I've actually sold a few things. Who knew?

The whisky cabinet has been through a couple concept stages. The longer I delay starting, the bigger it gets!
    Bill, it sounds like a beautiful piece of furniture. Sometimes stuff just happens lol!
    Best regards,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    The ever lovely Mrs Marriedtoawoodworker and I were "discussing" where I was going to put the next project - a Krenov style humidor with 4 doors, 48" wide - and to make her point she got up and counted the pieces I've made that are in our great room. Just the one room. Came up to 21 things in the room that I've made. She announced the total and stood there looking at me. I paused for 5 or 10 seconds and suggested we needed to put an addition on the back of the house. That pretty much ended the conversation, but I have a feeling it ain't over.

Having spent 5 minutes in the loft of your shop a year and a half ago--i think i could recall 21 of your projects just up there!! (sander is working great, thank you again!!)
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Having spent 5 minutes in the loft of your shop a year and a half ago--i think i could recall 21 of your projects just up there!! (sander is working great, thank you again!!)
    earl
    was thinking of you last week Earl. Glad the sander is working well. If you are willing to run some things thru the sander for me, send me a PM with you number and I'll call you to discuss.