Thread: Finished cabinet

Finished cabinet

Walnut and zebrawood. The carcass is attached to the frame with brass rod. It wasn't fast - about four months of very off and on work, but I learned a ton of new skills (how to use a spokeshave!) and really enjoyed the process.

I'm not 100% happy with the design - the top feel heavy compared to the rest. Maybe it needed more pronounced bevels underneath? But that's why I'm not a professional furniture designer. Nevertheless, it looks and feels great in my office.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions, especially in the neanderthal forum. Pretty much everything else was done by hand after ripping the boards to size on the table saw.

The next (easier!) project is a hanging bookshelf (dovetails) out walnut to match the carcass.

20210223_130553.jpg20210223_130624.jpg20210223_130703.jpg20210223_130711.jpg20210223_135815.jpg

Very nice Aaron - the top is just right I think - it balances the flare at the bottom of the legs. The gentle curves really gives the piece a wonderful elevation. And the rods let the cabinet float in the frame and that is way cool. I'm working on something with the same idea of floating the cabinet and was toying with several solutions - I like yours and may borrow certain aspects of it. Well done. (and very nice DT's)
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I think it looks great from the front, well balanced, but maybe a little more bevel on the ends, your picture #3 in my browser.

it is a tricky thing for sure and I would be more than happy to take that off your hands for my office. As I have three small tables in progress I am noticing the designs I like ( I am a moron with no sense of style or color recognized by any of my children) but on rectangular table tops I like a little more bevel on the short sides, the ends compared to the long edges.

Doesn't mean I am right, just what I like.

Thanks for the kind words!

Definitely more taper/bevel on the sides of the top next time.

I also focused on having really beautiful wood for the sides of the carcass, but due to the relatively narrow design and the placement, you don't really see them at all. The top glue up doesn't really flow and I should have put my energy (and best boards) in to perfecting that instead. Although it probably doesn't show in the photos (I'm a terrible photographer), the front legs are the nicest straightest grain and that paid off.

Hi Aaron,
    I think it looks great! Beautiful grain and finish. The proportions and design look good to me and I’d be proud to have built something as nice.
    I think it’s pretty common to see all the flaws in a piece you’ve made; I sure do. It’s good to remember that others just see the end result, not the struggles.
    Congratulations!
    David

Very nice! Your growing skills show in the workmanship. The wood itself and the finish look awsome.
    I agree - I'd taper the ends more, but that's just my preference - nothing wrong with what you've done.

How is the floating section supported by the brass rods? Did you "just" drill holles and glue in the rods, or something else?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Aaron

It really looks great. Go with what your gut tells you.

Everyone will have an opinion, and that's what it is, an opinion, not right or wrong or better.

My opinion is that the ends are bevelled more. Something in line with this table (just the general concept, so I am not misunderstood, not the proportions) ...

The other area I would change - a little! - is to slim out the handles. They look too bulky for me. Again, my taste is my taste.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Nicely done. I'm OK with the top as is. It has a sort of powerful presence. A greater bevel would give a lighter edge appearance and that would look good as well. Just two different looks; neither is right, wrong, better, or worse.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Excellent execution! I really like the combo of wood. Ive never worked with zebra wood before, but it looks superb.

I feel you, its unfortunate for guys like us that we finish a one-off piece and only then are we able to observe form and proportion from every angle. Its nice to learn from, but ultimately im rarely going to remake something and make the tweaks i want to. I agree with the comments above, the handles need to be much more slim and graceful. I would also go with a greater bevel on the top, or thinner top.

Great craft throughout. Your tails appear flawless. I like a thinner pin, but they are nice. I dig the shape of the legs and they look great.

The handles are screwed in, so are the one element that can be easily revisited. I may try some lighter, more elegant designs. I'll post some photos for feedback when I do.

The bottom rods are epoxied in to drilled holes in the carcass and base. The top ones site in the holes but are held in place by the top. This means that the tension holding the piece together is mainly supplied by the mortise/tenon of the legs in to the top. I was a little worried as I didn't make huge tenons: 1/2"x3/4" and only 3/4" deep, but lifting the piece by the top it seemed super solid.

This was just my second project with hand cut dovetails and I'm happy with how it turned out (already much cleaner than the first), especially with the miters.

Aaron, you have created and executed a unique design. Well done Sir! The wood is gorgeous and I like the contrasting woods. Your dovetails and your handles are show a good level of craftsmanship. Don't be too hard on yourself with your design. Give yourself credit for what's good with the design, note what you'd design features you'd change for what you design in the future. Take note of critiques from others but remember they are subjective, simply a matter of personal opinion. Overall I really like your piece from both a design and execution perspective. The "floating" feature is interesting.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Beautiful design. Beautiful execution!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...