Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop replaceable inserts - any opinions from owners

Sawstop replaceable inserts - any opinions from owners

I just came across this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk66IacfJ6o ) and these look really interesting. I often make cuts at regular angles and widths and to have specific inserts for the these tasks is appealing. Where I come from having these shipped would cost about $150AUD delivered including 2 inserts whereas genuine Sawstop inserts would cost about $90 AUD delivered. Replaceable inserts cost about $20AUD for a pack of 4 including ones to hold the riving knife, splitter and dado. Sounds like a much more cost effective way to go if you need about 5 or 6 inserts for particular tasks

Anyone got these and have an opinion on their durability and accuracy as well as how snugly they fit?

I have these on my SawStop 3HP PCS. I've had them for about a year now.

No issues, easy to swap the insert, the white part, out for the appropriate blade.

I bought a few extra (white) inserts, so i have ZCI inserts for ripping cross cutting and 1/4" and 3/8" dado.

I dropped one of my OEM Sawstop inserts and cracked it, so that was when I decided to go with the Infinity setup.

No regrets.

Blog Entries
    I've got one & like it a lot. But the inserts they supply are made of a particularly poor grade of MDF & when I need more, I'll be making some out of hardboard or maybe Medex. Even when drilling pilot holes for the 2 screws they strip out if I even look at them funny. I drip a little CA glue in the holes, which helps some.

I skipped putting those screws in. Once the complete insert is in place, in the table, the white insert isn't going anywhere.

Thanks guys, I'm convinced!
    Any problems with raising the blade to cut the slots, particularly 45 bevel slots? Is there any chance the blade might hit the plate and set off the brake?

See "Fine Woodworking" Tools and Shops 2016 for an article and plans for shop-fabricated zero clearance insert for SawStop.

On my ICS I run the improved version of the Infinity/Colliflower ZCI without using screws and agree with Frank pratt's assessment about the MDF replacement inserts. http://www.colliflower-zci.com/store/sawstop.

"Nevva" thought about using hardboard, but is it a "true" 1/4" thick??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I skipped putting those screws in. Once the complete insert is in place, in the table, the white insert isn't going anywhere.
    But once the slot for the riving knife is cut, there isn't much to keep the 2 ends of the insert secure. I don't know if that matters much cause I guess the RK would keep them from squishing together & flopping around.

The biggest issue I have with the Infinity inserts is that I constantly need to get out my metric Allen wrench to adjust the height as it is different from the stock Sawstop inserts which I normally use. If I just used the Inifinity version, that wouldn't be an issue.

Yes the MDF inserts are an issue and the screws strip out instantly. And I also put crazy glue on them.

You need to take care when raising the blade to cut the slots. But that is true for all of the inserts I have used.

So, mixed feelings about the Infinity version.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

What is the difference between the original and improved version? From the information on the site it appears that there is a 7/16" difference in width. Kind of confusing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    The biggest issue I have with the Infinity inserts is that I constantly need to get out my metric Allen wrench to adjust the height as it is different from the stock Sawstop inserts which I normally use. If I just used the Inifinity version, that wouldn't be an issue.
    I initially dealt with the hassle of adjusting the levelling screws when swapping plates. Then one day I asked myself why I was using the original at all & stuck it in a drawer, never to be used again. No reason too. the Infinity MDF inserts swap out more quickly than the screwing around with the leveling screws.

I forgot to mention that the front set screw is stripped also. For a while I used it exclusively and put the Sawstop on back in a drawer. But the Sawstop one just levels better to the table, and just feels sturdier.

Now I do use mine. Just did today. But it could use sturdier inserts and a better leveling system. IMHO.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I initially dealt with the hassle of adjusting the levelling screws when swapping plates. Then one day I asked myself why I was using the original at all & stuck it in a drawer, never to be used again. No reason too. the Infinity MDF inserts swap out more quickly than the screwing around with the leveling screws.
    Same here, once I was happy with the Infinity, I haven't used my OEM inserts.

I haven't had any issues with the inserts that are split for the riving knife, not using the securing screws, I do handle the white insert piece with care. I usually lower my blade, put the complete insert in the table, and then raise the blade as necessary.

On the white inserts, I did have to sand the leading front edge about 1/64". There was just enough of a lip to feel as you moved the work piece towards the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    A simple rare earth magnet on the cabinet can hold dedicated Allen wrenches for both types of inserts so you always know where it is.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

From The Infinity Tools website, I have version 2, they are now selling version 3.

Why did the design get updated again? Is the new design 3 pieces? It looks like 2 aluminum pieces connected by a white ZCI piece. Is this correct?

Question by: Eric Vatral on Jan 20, 2021, 7:10:26 PM
    The New 100-358 is still a one-piece aluminum plate with a replaceable ZCI insert. The Insert itself is now wider so that the anti-kickback pawls on the overarm guard will not touch and potentially scratch the aluminum plate. The inserts are also longer so that the open back inserts are stiffer and do not require the "tails' to be held in place by screws. This makes insert changes easier and more convenient.

Answer by: Andrew - Customer Service (Admin) on Jan 29, 2021, 3:10:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    From The Infinity Tools website, I have version 2, they are now selling version 3.
    Now, if they would only swap out the older versions...