Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sawstop replaceable inserts - any opinions from owners

I asked this above but didn't get an answer. Is it possible to activate the brake when raising the blade at 45 degrees or is there enough of a gap between the blade and the insert?

Is it possible? I guess. But I was using mine today at 45 degrees.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I will make a short YouTube video, tomorrow, showing my setup.

I've used mine with the blade tilted at 45 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I will make a short YouTube video, tomorrow, showing my setup.

I've used mine with the blade tilted at 45 degrees.
    Look forward to that!

Blog Entries
    I got the one that uses an insert remarkably like the Infinity(?). Don't recall the name and it is currently installed on my Saw Stop that is in storage. Looks similar. The name started with a "C" . . . Coliflower maybe. I was able to make my own inserts out of scrap as well as melamine so I have never bought the refills.

SawStop-Shop-made-ZCI-Inserts (10).jpgSawStop-Shop-made-ZCI-Inserts (1).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-25-2021 at 10:33 AM. Reason: sp
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I see a few questions that I can help with. I have worked for Infinity now for 7 years as "Resident Woodworker"
    Infinity is not the manufacturer of the SawStop Insert. It was invented and is manufactured by Jack Colliflower of Colliflower LLC.

We communicate regularly with jack and he is a great supplier and inventor. We are proud to market, sell, and support his products. We also carry his ZCI insert for miter saws.

We recently introduced the Gen 3. SS ZCI. It has a few nice upgrades over previous versions. The main difference is that the replaceable insert is wider and longer. This makes it stiffer when the saw kerf is cut and also allows the anti kickback pawls on the blade guard to not rest on the aluminum part of the ZCI and possibly dig in. (If you lower the blade with the pawls down they tend to do their job and dig) the pawls tend to slide better on the melamine but if they do catch the insert is replaceable. The new longer inserts are also a little easier to make if you are inclined to make your own replacements.

When you look at the Insert you will notice that the lift hole is directly in line with the saws arbor. This makes it impossible for the arbor to touch the insert and trigger the brake when tilted to 45°. You can even run a full dado stack at full extension and at 45° without issue. This was the biggest change made from V1 to V2 many years ago. The original V1 did not have the lift hole in line with the arbor and the tilted full stack dado scenario could in theory cause a brake activation (you had to back the leveling screw all the way out so the insert sat way done in the throat IIRC). In selling the Colliflower inserts for more than 7 years I don't think this has ever been reported by a customer. I have personally tested and used all three versions and tried to get the saw to trip but have never been able to get the saw to fire... I did do it accidently with an aluminum miter gauge once...

PS. The video in the first post is of the V1 insert and goes back quite a few years, 7 or 8 I think. We are working on a new video of the V3 insert so keep an eye out in the coming weeks if you are interested.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting that info Andrew. I have the V2 & like it, but that V3 is definitely an improvement.

Thanks Andrew.

BTW, you give a very nice workshop at Infinity. At least before Covid, sigh.... Infinity is a very nice company to deal with, BTW, and I love that they are local.

It's tempting to get a version 3 to avoid some of the issues.

Has the set screw issues for the height been addressed? (I guess if I keep it in the Sawstop and don't switch out between the Sawstop and the Infinity/Colliflower insert that's a non-issue.) If so, I might be driving over there tomorrow for a pickup.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have one and like it but not the crummy mdf inserts. I've made my own out of plywood and solid wood and they are at least better than the mdf ones. I probably have the original design, the insert is narrow but it can support a 3/4 dado stack. But there is very little insert on the left with mine and if you use a 3/4 dado there will be very little on the right. Wider insert makes sense. I have also ditched the screws for the insert. They do not work and are unnecessary.

I think when I got mine they were guaranteeing it would not set off the cartridge. Did they stop that? I think there is clearance but at least on mine, you can get within about 1/4 of an inch.

Even with it's limitations it's a significant improvement over the SawStop insert. The only thing the SawStop is better at is staying down as you raise the blade. But with the Colliflower properly adjusted it stays down OK.

Blog Entries
    The screws for the rear, The two pan heads that are actually part of the saw use a 5/16 allen key, all of the set screws in the Colliflowner insert use a 1/8" allen. If your planning to come by, check the web or give is a call to check on stock status. The fist batch of the V3 inserts went like hot cakes. I think you know we are doing pickup only because of the covid thing, so you have to place toe order on line or over the phone. The good news is we will have it ready and waiting when you get here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Thanks Andrew.

BTW, you give a very nice workshop at Infinity. At least before Covid, sigh.... Infinity is a very nice company to deal with, BTW, and I love that they are local.

It's tempting to get a version 3 to avoid some of the issues.

Has the set screw issues for the height been addressed? (I guess if I keep it in the Sawstop and don't switch out between the Sawstop and the Infinity/Colliflower insert that's a non-issue.) If so, I might be driving over there tomorrow for a pickup.
    Andrew Gibson

Blog Entries
    Hi Jim, in all honesty I think we may have replaced one in all these years. It has just never been an issue. We rarely get asked about a guarantee. Jack always says he will take care of anyone that has an issue. This is the advantage of working with a small American manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I have one and like it but not the crummy mdf inserts. I've made my own out of plywood and solid wood and they are at least better than the mdf ones. I probably have the original design, the insert is narrow but it can support a 3/4 dado stack. But there is very little insert on the left with mine and if you use a 3/4 dado there will be very little on the right. Wider insert makes sense. I have also ditched the screws for the insert. They do not work and are unnecessary.

I think when I got mine they were guaranteeing it would not set off the cartridge. Did they stop that? I think there is clearance but at least on mine, you can get within about 1/4 of an inch.

Even with it's limitations it's a significant improvement over the SawStop insert. The only thing the SawStop is better at is staying down as you raise the blade. But with the Colliflower properly adjusted it stays down OK.
    Andrew Gibson

As promised, but remember this is Version 2, one generation behind what Infinity is selling now.

They also make a zero clearance for the Jobsite saw as well as inserts for most all brands of table saws. I had the zero clearance inserts on my Kapex as well.