Thread: Minimax SC2c vs SC3c

Minimax SC2c vs SC3c

I'm thinking of buying a present for myself, unfortunately sight un-seen. Has anybody done a similar comparison between these two saws that could share thoughts? To me used for hobby/craftsman projects. The differences I can gather are:
    - Price...obvious
    - table casting on SC2 is narrower but actually 7 inches longer if the spec I read is correct SC2 is 40" x 13" and SC3 is 33" x 22"...seems greater casting length on out feed side? Seems like should be a good thing?
    - both have 5.5' stroke
    - SC3 is in a traditional sliding saw footprint vs SC2 in more of a cabinet saw footprint. What impact does the SC3 footprint have on using the saw for traditional ripping, or once you have a slider one no longer does traditional ripping?
    - SC2 arm mechanism is different, seems lighter. But does that impact capacity, function, for cross cutting a sheet of 3/4 ply? What about 8' long butcher block table top, Ie pretty heavy?
    - are there significant difference in the internals?

Sorry for so many questions, any help would be appreciated.

I actually had a communication with Sam Blasco recently on this very topic as a hedge in case I need to downsize my slider if a future shop cannot accommodate my current S315WS with the 8'6" wagon.

The SC2 and SC3 have similar cutting capacities as you note. One of the major differences that you get with the heavier SC3 is "all the goodies" are in the standard bundle. If you want the short miter gage (I wouldn't be without it) you have to buy that a la carté with the SC2. Etc. So the extra couple of grand for the SC3 covers a lot of features that many folks like to have on their saws. It's a little more robust for handling heavier (weight) work, too. But yes, the SC2 has a smaller footprint and is a great alternative to a North American cabinet saw that brings the repeatability and precision for crosscutting of a true slider to the table, pardon the expression. And at five grand it's more affordable than the SC23

On your question about traditional ripping, I don't have any issue doing that on my even larger slider now, although I don't prefer it. The big difference is where you stand...to the left of the blade rather than behind it like with a cabinet saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A couple of years back I owned a Sc2 for awhile. Mine was a green early 80's saw that I rebuilt/tuned. Excellent saw, I would buy one of these over ANY cabinet saw. The newest version of this saw has a few more features and would be even better. I really liked mine and would still have it if I had not replaced it with a Felder K700s with 10' stroke. The Minimax is a great saw, extremely accurate and everything is adjustable on it so you can dial it right in.

Thanks Jim. Did you happen to discuss any capacity limitations on the arm mechanism of SC2? I think as long as it handles the occasional heavy butcher block top scenario it would be fine for my purposes and somehow I think I like the idea of the longer table casting, 7" inches is substantial. I do hear what you are saying about the accessories.

I have the SC2C and don't have any issues crosscutting full sheets of 19mm (3/4-inch) plywood. I can't rip full sheets, but this is a limitation of my shop and not the saw.

If you want to see what the SC2C looks like from the inside out, see the thread about my shop build:

Mike's Shop is Underway

Kevin, I don't know the weight handling of the outrigger system for the SC2 (or SC3 for that matter). I suggest you discuss that with Sam Blasco.

Sam Blasco
    Minimax Brand Ambassador
    sam.blasco@scmgroup.com
    512-931-1962
    866-216-2166 (main office/parts/tech services)
    www.scmgroup.com
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Kevin, I don't know the weight handling of the outrigger system for the SC2 (or SC3 for that matter). I suggest you discuss that with Sam Blasco.

Sam Blasco
    Minimax Brand Ambassador
    sam.blasco@scmgroup.com
    512-931-1962
    866-216-2166 (main office/parts/tech services)
    www.scmgroup.com
    I had exactly that question for Sam regarding my SC4E. I needed to square up a glued up ash slab that was about 32 x 72 x 2" thick. It weighed around 100 pounds and took two of us to position on the outrigger table. Sam got back to me right away; unfortunately his answer was that MM didn't have a weight spec/limit for the slider outriggers, but he thought I would be OK. Once we got the slab up on the saw we didn't have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    I have the SC2C and don't have any issues crosscutting full sheets of 19mm (3/4-inch) plywood. I can't rip full sheets, but this is a limitation of my shop and not the saw.

If you want to see what the SC2C looks like from the inside out, see the thread about my shop build:

Mike's Shop is Underway

Thanks, love the shop by the way.