Thread: No power cord on powermatic 1285 jointer?

No power cord on powermatic 1285 jointer?

$6500 and I don't get a cord with a plug on it? Or is it started away somewhere. I was going to add a 50ft cord onto it anyway, so no big deal. In just thought I saw a pic where it had a factory molded cord.

A lot of higher end machinery of all kinds comes without a plug or cord, they don't know how you intend to wire it-- whether hardwired or with a receptacle, if so which kind. Many are configurable for different voltages, which in turn require different wiring. Industrial settings have a lot more options usually than home shops. And of course they have no way of knowing how long a cord is required, so it can make more sense to ship it without and let you wire it as you prefer than to charge you for a cord that is too long, too short, or of the wrong kind.

Some of mine have come with short cords and no plugs. Some have come with no cords of any kind.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don't think I've ever bought a used machine that has a common plug on it. Most will just make their machines universal to whatever is in their shop anyhow, so even if the machine came with one, you'd probably not like what it was. Lot's just hardwire too.

I don't feel like asking a separate question, so I'll add it here. Do you think an engine hoist will lift this thing off the pallet? Gonna have to lift each end of the the pallet with the hoist first so I can get it propped up to be able to get the wheels under it. Or just buy a tractor. It was either a jointer or a tractor and I bought the jointer first. Lol Will an engine house do 762 lbs?

Not unusual. In an industrial application a electrical shut off box has to be mounted on the wall next to the machine, and may even require conduit to the machine to meet code.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    I don't feel like asking a separate question, so I'll add it here. Do you think an engine hoist will lift this thing off the pallet? Gonna have to lift each end of the the pallet with the hoist first so I can get it propped up to be able to get the wheels under it. Or just buy a tractor. It was either a jointer or a tractor and I bought the jointer first. Lol Will an engine house do 762 lbs?
    Yes that's within the range of most engine hoists, or "cherry pickers". No idea why they are called that.

The only thought I had was...
    Where are you going to go with a 50 foot extension cord?

Ed

50ft of extension cord? That’s not a good idea. You really should run a new circuit. And if you have the dough to drop $6500 on a 12” jointer, a cord with your choice of plug or hardwire isn’t something you should flinch at.

And any 2ton engine hoist can handle 762# with ease. Picked up my 1300# planer easy enough with my HF one.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    $6500 and I don't get a cord with a plug on it? Or is it started away somewhere. I was going to add a 50ft cord onto it anyway, so no big deal. In just thought I saw a pic where it had a factory molded cord.
    I don't feel so bad now. I "only" paid $5K for my JP, which had no cord. Plus, it wasn't set up properly.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Extension cord with the right gauge wire would be no problem. Expensive but no problem.

I use portable cord sjoow 12 gauge ampacity of 25 amps.

Keep in mind that wire gauge also changes based on length.

True but 50ft isn't much. Lol