Thread: schmidt coping discs

schmidt coping discs

I had asked in another thread if anyone is using them and one or two people posted someone had info on instagram and maybe one more. I tried to go there and you had to be on Instagram to view the pages. argh if I wanted to know about Scientology would have to joint to find out ?

They still seem to me to be like Sasquash. As many times i have searched you tubes to see never been anything, coping discs that is. Like my dovettailer just plain next to no info on it or you tubes. Found one once and not anygood other than it was more proof than the sasquash.

In case the few of you that read it couold you tell me again and ill go searching back more to see if I can find it. Its a fair question company makes them and sells them but zero you tube info to show how they work. Anytime ive had contact with them though they have been excellent and they know their stuff.

thanks w

Blog Entries

thanks saved it but same as before have t join the club to go in. If at anytime you think of more let me know and will save them as well and figure out how to approach it, I can always see if they have sites and email them that way. Just be nice if there were you tubes that show them running. Ive found guys with dirt floors and no shoes that show more than some manufacturers.

Blog Entries
    They look remarkably like the Sears Molding Head cutters. The did the work, but were scary to use even with a zero clearance insert. The Sears Molding head cutters had one cutter or three. Think of Making rip cuts with a 6-7" saw blade with only three large teeth.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

not a chance,

thats like saying my saturn is the same as my friends 150k mercedes. I probably have five at least of the sears things from the beginning, affordable junk when you start out that will work. Ive done furniture grade beaded work with those heads. You sand to make stuff decent and sand lots. Compared to corrugated or lock edge where you sand cause its too good and you are concerned about finish adhesion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    They look remarkably like the Sears Molding Head cutters. The did the work, but were scary to use even with a zero clearance insert. The Sears Molding head cutters had one cutter or three. Think of Making rip cuts with a 6-7" saw blade with only three large teeth.
    Conceptually they are similar, but in application generally acceptable in commercial settings.

Whitehill has tenon discs up to 300mm / 12". schmidt are 7, 8 or 9".

Spinning them on a shaper designed to accommodate cutters of that size is a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Conceptually they are similar, but in application generally acceptable in commercial settings.

Whitehill has tenon discs up to 300mm / 12". schmidt are 7, 8 or 9".

Spinning them on a shaper designed to accommodate cutters of that size is a non issue.
    Depth of cut on those 300mm discs is just under 6" (with knives installed the diameter is about 350mm /14") and requires a heavy, well tuned machine.

Warren, think hard about signing up for Instagram. Lot's of folks doing good work there and you might find some interesting content there.

sears cutters are the same as comparing a paper airplane to a cessna.

Do the whitehill take corrugated?

Insta do yo uhave to be signed in to be able to look at any sites at all? If so how you sign in does that affect if you are on there in being the same name and all? I should have had kids

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post

Insta do yo uhave to be signed in to be able to look at any sites at all? If so how you sign in does that affect if you are on there in being the same name and all? I should have had kids
    The whitehill heads take pin knives, not corrugated.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post

The Whitehill tenon discs are pins instead of corrugated but are 6mm thick steel. They have lots of serrated blocks, just not these discs.

Instagram is best with a mobile device (phone or tablet) but you can use it on a desktop too I think. Pretty sure you have to be sighed in to get most of the features.

no cell ever so far.

shame no corrugated. I changed out the moulder to corrugated so all the shaper cutters will work, I want to see people run stuff on the schmidt cross grain to see how clean. I have no cope and stick interest until it makes a tennon and not a tongue.

Blog Entries
    The schmidt cope discs are a 25 degree hook if I remember right.

good point have it written down somewhere, Forgot lock edge but have that as well. have to find the time to do some experiments with the smaller heads 5" approx.