Thread: Sargent 408 plane/cap iron question

Sargent 408 plane/cap iron question

I bought a Sargent 408 off of eBay for $31. The pics weren’t great and I couldn’t get a great look at the iron/cap iron. Turns out the iron sent with it was a “Modern” made in Sweden. It does not actually fit the lateral adjuster. It would fit a Stanley I think, but the Sargent needs a slot in the blade of 1/2” it seems. I was thinking of just getting a replacement iron/cap iron. Maybe a Hock, but I think I will have to enlarge the slot for the lateral adjuster as they are sized for Stanley’s. I assume this is not difficult and will just take a bit of careful filing.

Anyone done this for Sargent planes?

Blog Entries
    I assume this is not difficult and will just take a bit of careful filing.
    On older blades with a piece of hardened steel laminated on a piece of softer steel, this would be easy.

Take a little off of each side.

Newer blades might be hardened over the full length.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    On older blades with a piece of hardened steel laminated on a piece of softer steel, this would be easy.

Take a little off of each side.

Newer blades might be hardened over the full length.

jtk

The blade that it came with is hard. Going to be some work to take off that little bit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Focht View Post
    The blade that it came with is hard. Going to be some work to take off that little bit.
    Can you find an older Stanley blade?

Maybe you can check ebay. There appears to be a few listings for #408 blades and breakers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Can you find an older Stanley blade?

Maybe you can check ebay. There appears to be a few listings for #408 blades and breakers.

jtk
    I can find the correct blades on eBay, but I had hoped to just get new if I can - worried about potential pitting and whatnot.

I am in touch with Ron Hock and he says people have used his blades in Sargent planes and no one had mentioned this issue before. The slot measurement he provides (0.468”) won’t fit over the lateral adjuster for either of the two Sargent planes I bought. About 1/64” too small. Maybe less.

That said, he responded very quickly. Great service.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting.
    I can swap my Hock blade into my Sargent 409 without issue.

Blog Entries
    It may be easiest to file a few thousandths off the end of the lateral lever.

jtk

It may be easiest to file a few thousandths off the end of the lateral lever.

jtk
    I came to that conclusion today. Will wait a few days before I commit.

One other "problem" between Sargent and Stanley Chipbreakers.....the slot for the depth adjusters do NOT match.....Sargent doesn't even match up with Millers Falls depth adjuster slots. Be aware...

I happen to have at least one of each makers' set...of irons and chipbreakers....and can provide a look..as soon as I can get a few photos taken..if wanted..

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    One other "problem" between Sargent and Stanley Chipbreakers.....the slot for the depth adjusters do NOT match.....Sargent doesn't even match up with Millers Falls depth adjuster slots. Be aware...

I happen to have at least one of each makers' set...of irons and chipbreakers....and can provide a look..as soon as I can get a few photos taken..if wanted..
    I found a post of yours in another forum with all three chip breakers. The Sargent slot is higher up which will affect how it interacts with the depth adjuster. I will probably need to find one on eBay. They have several available. Will need to study pics to get one in decent shape.

Thanks.