Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Grizzly Tools

New Grizzly Tools

New South Bend High end Grizzly tools? So has anyone seen there new line? What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by richard poitras; 02-22-2021 at 4:28 PM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Have not seen it in person. That new edge sander sure looked nice though.

Grizzly just recently provided a new banner graphic here with the link below.

https://southbendtools.com/

Got an email about it. Are these just rebranded Grizzlies, or an all new offering, or a different lineup out of a Chinese woodworking machine booklet?

Their 20" planer is about the same price as a Powermatic (right now the PM is on sale and actually less expensive). PM has 100 years behind them and a 5 year warranty, this company is new and only offers a 2 year warranty. I don't see their value proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Mitchell View Post
    Their 20" planer is about the same price as a Powermatic (right now the PM is on sale and actually less expensive). PM has 100 years behind them and a 5 year warranty, this company is new and only offers a 2 year warranty. I don't see their value proposition.
    Except for the fact that Powermatic no longer makes tools. They just buy them painted to their color from the same factory that's making both Grizzly and South Bend tools.

My guess is, like the South Bend metal tools vs the Grizzly metal tools, that the SB tools will be made with nicer parts (like bearings and electronics) to possibly a tighter spec. Without buying both and taking them apart to see just how each one is made I'm not sure how you would know. It does seem odd given that Grizzly also has their Shop Fox brand that both they sell as well as others. I'm thinking that Grizzly is going after the commercial shops who want tools that they feel aren't going to be reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Except for the fact that Powermatic no longer makes tools. They just buy them painted to their color from the same factory that's making both Grizzly and South Bend tools.

My guess is, like the South Bend metal tools vs the Grizzly metal tools, that the SB tools will be made with nicer parts (like bearings and electronics) to possibly a tighter spec. Without buying both and taking them apart to see just how each one is made I'm not sure how you would know. It does seem odd given that Grizzly also has their Shop Fox brand that both they sell as well as others. I'm thinking that Grizzly is going after the commercial shops who want tools that they feel aren't going to be reliable.
    Yeah they may come from the same factory, but you still get 4 more years of warranty than Grizzly offers. I'm curious to know if you have inside information about any quality differences, or bearing specification information between Powermatic and Grizzly?

The South Bend model is interesting. As far as pricing, it's on the higher end and just as pricey as Powermatic.

The 20 Helical Planer looks good with it's variable speed that can go as low as 10 FPM. But Grizzly's own Extreme Planer is $3000, so not sure how many people will pay $4200 for a South Bend. It'll probably do well with 10% off coupons and reasonable shipping.

Looks like South Bend is more for Lathe products unless they expand the product line.

I have a hard time with the concept of selling or buying a respected name and reputation to brand totally unrelated stuff. Not blaming anyone for doing it but the sequel seldom equals the original. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I have a hard time with the concept of selling or buying a respected name and reputation to brand totally unrelated stuff. Not blaming anyone for doing it but the sequel seldom equals the original. Dave
    Agreed. Same as the new “Oliver”. Seems silly, and one would be a fool to think these new copy cats bring the same quality as the old American made machines.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Polaroid and Bell & Howell come immediately to mind.

Jim thanks for posting as I did not know this was asked before
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Yeah they may come from the same factory, but you still get 4 more years of warranty than Grizzly offers. I'm curious to know if you have inside information about any quality differences, or bearing specification information between Powermatic and Grizzly?
    I don't. I have seen the Powermatic 209HH planer and the magnetic switch has a Square D logo on it. It looks identical to the mag switch on my PM66 table saw which I have seen the inside of and know it has name brand parts in it. My Grizzly 1033X has a mag switch but it's hidden so I don't know who makes it but my Grizzly Band saw's switch is mounted on the side and I've never heard of the brand. The only way to know for sure, as i said, would be to take identical tools from Powermatic or South Bend and Grizzly and take them apart.

I'm not sure if I would be tempted to buy a SB over a similarly priced same tool from Powermatic. Shorter warranty and I don't think SB has on-site customer service to do repairs.

DeWalt comes to mind. Black and Decker was having trouble getting people to respect their "pro" line of tools, so they bought the DeWalt name to rebrand everything, and it took off. It appears that Grizzly is attempting the same thing.