Thread: Walnut End Table with Storage for my wonderful wife

Walnut End Table with Storage for my wonderful wife

So although my wife(of 32 years) has never tested positive for Covid, we were both VERY sick Christmas December 2019. She has since been afflicted with all kinds of disorders that she didn't have previously, including IBS and maybe CFS/ME (Chronic fatigue). Since she has been a vibrant, energetic, productive person until recently this has really affected her. She spends alot more time resting and her heart rate spikes to over a hundred, simply walking to the kitchen for a glass of water.
    All that to say this. Our living room has turned into a haven of crafting, mostly embroidery and cross stitch. She piles it all on top of two oak end tables and eventually I hear regularly occurring "oh crap" as something is put down, causing a chain reaction resulting in something else falling off the edge.

What she wanted was an end table with storage, what she got was basically that with a sliding table top and power, to charge her personal devices. The power is a strip with USB charging located in the sliding section...the cord is routed through the case, behind the drawers and out the bottom for tidiness sake.

The cabinet is Walnut plywood with Walnut banding. Drawer slides are full length soft close slides. finished in BLO, mineral oil and Paste wax. When looking at the front of the cabinet, the top slides to the left. Cabinet is 15x30, 26inches tall.
    Thanks for looking. be well.

20210102_222053216_iOS.jpg20210102_222054526_iOS.jpg20210102_220609851_iOS.jpg20210102_220640219_iOS.jpg20210102_220622644_iOS.jpgIMG_20210106_185429_2.jpg

Great piece, well done. Really nice solution.

What a great project. The sliding top is a very nice custom feature. Nice job in laying out the top to feature the continuous wood grain. It looks great.

Wait--- you're storing your wife in that cabinet??!?

Nicely done! Having a new piece of furniture-- the one that can corral (and hide) both all the electronic devices and chargers as well as provide a home for the remotes is a long standing need. Incorporating the craft supplies is great.

Great piece of furniture and an even better reason for making it. Really unfortunate that she is going through what she is!. It's amazing how resilient humans can be but at the same time how fragile we can be. I highly recommend to keep searching for the root cause of her issues and don't let the insurance/medical companies push you around. Be your own advocate and research the crap out of the conditions. Hope she gets back to her normal self!!

Very nicely done! I love the design, the wood and the execution!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice project Todd - well done and pretty creative. I too like the looks of the top. Curious about the articulating arm in the pictures. Looks like you made that as well. How does she use it?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Nice project Todd - well done and pretty creative. I too like the looks of the top. Curious about the articulating arm in the pictures. Looks like you made that as well. How does she use it?
    Thanks Bill. I made part of the articulating arm, the basic structure was bought, but only articulated in a linear motion.....think hinge joint. It's for her embroidery work. Essentially, the top part is joined in the middle(by epoxy) with a camera tripod head that swivels 360 degrees and pivots with a ball and socket joint. A set screw holds it in place. On the other end is a clamp that can capture an embroidery hoop. She is able to position the hoop over her lap and articulate (by releasing the set screw on the tripod mount) the hoop upside down. This allows her to check the back of the work and essentially stitch two handed. You should see the PVC cross stitch frame I made. She is my best and most favorite customer and has been since 12th grade.