Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good youtube video series?

Blog Entries

good youtube video series?

Hi!
    This is my first post in this section of the forum, and I'm sure in the archives this answer is lurking.. but if you can give me a head start I would greatly appreciate it.

I have been, and expect to at least partially continue to be, a machine-based woodworker. But, I am finding that some tasks would be better/faster/easier/more enjoyable/cleaner/quieter to do with hand tools... and am open to having there be more of a balance between the styles of working in my shop.

As such, I've purchased a few basics from Lee Valley:
    - One nice chisel (and I already had cheapie chisels that would be good to learn on before further investing)
    - Sharpening / honing equipment
    - block plane
    - shoulder plane
    - jack plane
    - tenon saw
    - coping saw
    - dovetail guide

But, and this is embarrassing... I'm really unsure how to use these tools, and so they literally sit just staring at me (I'm pretty sure the block plane even mocked me the other day).

I would love to get hooked into youtube series of vids that could help me build some basic understanding.. how to setup a plane, do's and don'ts, saw types and techniques etc. BASIC stuff.

Let me repeat.. BASIC :-)

Is there a generally accepted youtube "teacher" that will get me started on the learning curve?

Thanks!

Bob R.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Wood by Wright
    Paul Sellers
    Rex Krueger
    Bob Rozaieski

Finally a topic I feel I have expertise in on this site (I have way to little experience with actual woodworking)

on Youtube try:

Paul Sellers
    Rob Costman
    Rex Krueger
    Wood by Wright
    Matt Estlea

hope they help!

Blog Entries
    Awesome, thanks guys!! I'll get busy watching and trying! :-)
    - Bob R.

Shannon Rogers.

I'd throw in Roy Underhill's The Woodwright's Shop for general background and basic instruction. And inspiration. The show was filmed for PBS. PopWood used to sell the DVD's, though I don't know who got the rights when PopWood was liquidated. And the series is on PBS's website:

I've also heard his books are more detailed and good sources of "how to". I haven't checked them out.

Also check out Lost Art Press, if you'd consider books, they have high quality reprints of classic handtool woodworking texts, e.g. Roubo in English, Nicholson, Moxon, several volumes of Charles Hayward, and Wearing. They also have more contemporary writers on traditional techniques Follansbee & Alexander, Becksvoort, Langsner, Jogge Sundqvist, and John Brown. Plus all of Christopher Schwarz writings where he documents historical practice, teaches those skills with modern tools, and yes, love him or hate him, philosophizes about craft.
    Last edited by David Bassett; 02-22-2021 at 1:35 PM. Reason: clarify which Sundqvist.

+1 on Wood by Wright.

No paywall.
    Clean editing, focus on tasks rather than tools.

I started my hand tool journey about 3 years ago. The YouTube recommendations you have received so far are good, but you will find variation in the techniques they recommend (dovetail technique anyone?). I would advise you to pick what looks good and stick with that for a while. As you gain experience, the subtle differences have more meaning, at least they did for me. And I would strongly advise attending a hand tool course (post-pandemic) at a reputable school, if there is one near you. Personally, I found that very helpful. I can't promise you won't still be mocked by your block plane (they're mean spirited little buggers) but you should soon be able to give back as good as you get.
    After the revolution, who's going to pick up the garbage on Monday morning?
    --Mierle Laderman Ukeles--

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Dale View Post
    I started my hand tool journey about 3 years ago. The YouTube recommendations you have received so far are good, but you will find variation in the techniques they recommend (dovetail technique anyone?). I would advise you to pick what looks good and stick with that for a while. As you gain experience, the subtle differences have more meaning, at least they did for me. And I would strongly advise attending a hand tool course (post-pandemic) at a reputable school, if there is one near you. Personally, I found that very helpful. I can't promise you won't still be mocked by your block plane (they're mean spirited little buggers) but you should soon be able to give back as good as you get.

:-) There are multiple tools in my shop that mock me from time to time, so my skin is getting pretty thick.

I had attended Jeffry Lohr's woodworking course years ago when I first started this hobby, and it definitely gave me so much confidence on working safely with power tools, so I can definitely imagine the value from taking a hand tool course. On the list of things to research! Thanks!
    - Bob R.

Blog Entries
    Hi Bob, welcome to the Cave by the Creek.

You mentioned looking through the archives. Have you looked here? > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....al-wisdom-FAQs

Roy Underhill as David mentioned is also a good source of information. There are episodes specifically focused on the use of hand planes. Even his use of molding planes may offer insights in to using a block plane or Jack plane.

Reading through other folk's build threads will often give details of prefered techniques. There are different ways of starting a saw, different strokes for different folks. The best way is the one that works for you.

Many different ways to sharpen tools. Again, the best way is the way you find to be best for you.

Hope you enjoy your stroll through Neander World.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Any Lie Nielsen video. Yeah, it’s about their tools, but a lot of basic info common to all metal planes and spokeshaves about setting up and the proper techniques to use them.

Stumpy Nubs
    Richard Leon
    Curtis Buchanan. Focused on chair making and a bit more advanced but a pleasure to watch and lots of great hand tool techniques that you might not think of which can be applied to woodworking in general.

Wood and Shop
    Any Phillip Lowe instructional video. You may have to dig for these but they are on YouTube.

Mr Chickadee on YouTube.

For me.
    Paul sellers is the best hands down.

For grinding, honing, and more recently buffing, check out David W.

A lot of good channels have been mentioned above, but one of my personal favorites is the third coast craftsman. He hasn't put out much new content recently as he has moved his shop and is in the process of putting it back together, but he has plenty of videos on his channel that you could spend a good amount of time watching