Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly

Grizzly

In the world of semi professional woodworking tools such as cabinet saws or planers I have noticed the Grizzly’s equivalent tend to be a few hundred cheaper that the competition, such as Jet, Sawstop, Powematic, Delta, etc. Can someone explain what I would be missing with the 3hp cabinet saw or 15 inch planer with Grizzly over the like models with the competition?

I have each of the mentioned Brands in my shop, I find nothing missing for the money saved with Grizzly. To top things off, Grizzly still stocks parts for my oldest 1998 vintage machine. I even had to use Grizzly parts in my Delta planer because Delta parts are non existent. So I’m a Grizzly fan!

There are many happy owners of Grizzly on this forum and elsewhere. Unless you are going with a SawStop you are throwing your money away paying a premium for white or yellow paint. Delta is a nonstarter these days unless you are looking at old iron. They have basically deserted the customer with no parts availability and no customer support. That and they are on the high end of the price point.

Too true, Ronald. Times change. I love my reliable, powerful 3 HP Delta Unisaw, made in 1997. My perception of Delta has been frozen with this machine, plus my 16" drill press and 12" planer of similar vintage. But all I read here is that Delta is essentially missing in action. Too bad.

Go to the grizzly site and take a look at these two 3hp cabinet saw models G0651 vs G1023RLX. Need the 50 inch plus fence since i will be making cabinet boxes in a semi pro / hobby output. What is the difference between these two models? Besides the G0651 having a outfeed table.

A couple of differences to keep in mind about Jet/Powermatic and Grizzly. First, Jet/Powermatic have 5 year warranties, Grizzly is usually a 1 year warranty. Second, Grizzly is available via catalog only, and you should usually add a couple hundred for freight and lift gate service on larger purchases. Third, sometimes there are subtle differences that go beyond paint.

Just bought a ShopFox 15" planer w1742, which had a list of about $1K less than the Powermatic version, which appears to be identical. However, closing inspection revealed that the cast iron tables on the Powermatic were a couple of inches longer. Talking with the dealer they also pointed out that the usually get a little quicker response time for parts, though both will be able to deliver the part. Having ordered a Grizzly G0490X, I ran into an issue where the planer was listed as in stock, but in fact was back ordered (could be I was just a little late to the party, an another order took the last one in stock). This meant that I ended up having to wait about a month or so to get the planer. With Powermatic/Jet being at the dealer, you should be able to get it that day.

Incidentally I also checking out the Jet 15" planer in my local wood working store, and the current models appear to be bolt for bolt the same as the Grizzly G0890 and G0891.

It looks as though the G0651 model comes with a digital blade angle indicator and weighs in at 602 lbs as opposed to the G1023RLX at 522 lbs. The G0651 model may come with a slightly more efficient 13a motor as opposed to the G1023RLX 14a motor. Both saws appear to be made in Taiwan.

I'm guessing the
    G0651 is probably worth the extra $500. May want to call them and ask directly though.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff friedman View Post
    Go to the grizzly site and take a look at these two 3hp cabinet saw models G0651 vs G1023RLX. Need the 50 inch plus fence since i will be making cabinet boxes in a semi pro / hobby output. What is the difference between these two models? Besides the G0651 having a outfeed table.

Looks like there are quite a few. You can see this by looking at the Grizzly comparison tool. The biggest one I'm noticing is the cast iron tables seem to have substantial differences.

The old business model was buy a name brand and then squeeze the customer for every penny by cheapening the product relentlessly until you have squeezed them dry. Then sell the brand. Porter Cable.

The new business model (which is the oldest business model) is build a new brand, by providing inexpensive but workable tools, and then as the new business model becomes profitable, plow the profits back into the business and improve the product line. See Grizzly and now Harbor Freight.

They are both filling the void left by Porter Cable as well as following the classic model of how you create a brand that customers will be loyal to.

It is classic free enterprise. Whoever owns Porter Cable today has a 10 year or more customer trust hill to climb.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 02-21-2021 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    A couple of differences to keep in mind about Jet/Powermatic and Grizzly. First, Jet/Powermatic have 5 year warranties, Grizzly is usually a 1 year warranty. Second, Grizzly is available via catalog only, and you should usually add a couple hundred for freight and lift gate service on larger purchases. Third, sometimes there are subtle differences that go beyond paint.

Just bought a ShopFox 15" planer w1742, which had a list of about $1K less than the Powermatic version, which appears to be identical. However, closing inspection revealed that the cast iron tables on the Powermatic were a couple of inches longer. Talking with the dealer they also pointed out that the usually get a little quicker response time for parts, though both will be able to deliver the part. Having ordered a Grizzly G0490X, I ran into an issue where the planer was listed as in stock, but in fact was back ordered (could be I was just a little late to the party, an another order took the last one in stock). This meant that I ended up having to wait about a month or so to get the planer. With Powermatic/Jet being at the dealer, you should be able to get it that day.

Incidentally I also checking out the Jet 15" planer in my local wood working store, and the current models appear to be bolt for bolt the same as the Grizzly G0890 and G0891.
    Correct on the warranty. Check Shop Fox for an extra year on the warranty. Identical machines as Grizzly, just painted white.

The difference is in the details mostly with the fit and finish. The switches feel cheaply made but work, the decals fall off and the paint missed a few spots. Does it matter how the planer cuts? No. The table saw table was dead flat but the wing has a slight crown in it leaving a bump you can feel in the middle where it joins. Does it affect anything? No. You get what you pay for. Grizzly cuts corners outside of where it matters.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

I have a Grizzly GL1023 that is old. It has just worked since the day I received it. Did the decals fall off...no, did the paint chip...no. I have everything from Rigid to Grizzly to Hammer in my shop. It would be nice if the TS had a riving knife, but that is no fault of Grizzly. It is just the vintage of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff friedman View Post
    I have a grizzly G1023RLWX. Perfect saw for me.

The G1023 uses a serpentine belt rather than multiple V Belts. The mechanism that raises/tilts the blade is a different design, more like a machine tool than the traditional Unisaw type trunion.

I am not familiar with G0651. It may be of the older design and use multiple V belts. Either design is proven. I liked the idea of a single belt if I need to change it someday. Could just be me.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

You're going to find a camp of passionate and satisfied Grizzly fans, a camp of people that think Grizzly is garbage, and then the inbetweeners. I think Bryan has it right - you get what you pay for. The difference is mostly in the details. I compare my Grizzly machines (what I haven't sold on) as like those old school handouts. We all had a teacher that used an old handout, perhaps a xerox of a xerox. Everything was there, but a bit fuzzy. Yeh, my bandsaw was a 14" bandsaw, like the 123423407 other ones out there. I got it at an attractive price point. But everything was just a bit cheap. I got what I paid for. The bearings were trash. Replaced them. The fence was trash, replaced that. This, that and the other thing. By the time I was done making the thing workable the way I wanted to work, I tallied up the spend and yep, coulda just bought the one I was too cheap to buy in the first place. I ended up selling that bandsaw on and buying the one I wanted from the start. Lesson learned. My buddy had the exact same experience with a table saw. Got in a 110V, 1.75HP (I think) unit in. He wanted a SS, but wouldn't pay the price. Whatever, not a problem. We assembled the Grizzly. Cheap switch, replaced that. Atrocious fence and rails, put on a nice aftermarket fence. A few other details. We tallied up the total spend, and again, it was within spitting distance of the SS contractor saw he balked at.

To be clear, neither I nor my buddy are mad about our experience. We got what we paid for. And for our experiences, I don't think either one of us will buy a Grizzly again.

For every one of those stories, you'll read another of a perfect experience. But, I think that's the same with just about every manufacturer - do your homework. Indeed, some of these machines are bolt for bolt identical to the big boys. And that's great, save your money if you like. But many of these machines are the fuzzy xerox. Do your homework, that's all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cramer View Post
    The difference is in the details mostly with the fit and finish. The switches feel cheaply made but work, the decals fall off and the paint missed a few spots. Does it matter how the planer cuts? No. The table saw table was dead flat but the wing has a slight crown in it leaving a bump you can feel in the middle where it joins. Does it affect anything? No. You get what you pay for. Grizzly cuts corners outside of where it matters.

Not any kind of an economic expert, but I think one significant difference between Grizzly and the others is Grizzly's business model is direct to consumer vs being sold through a retailer. Those retailers have to make some money.

Interesting point made above regarding difference in warranty though. I had not realized that.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher