Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

22 Feb 2021

Greetings,
    Well, the weather man said that we got between 14 and 18" of snow here. We are now beginning to thaw a bit and the temps are now getting closer to freezing rather than near zero. Friday morning it was 9 degrees F here and we've been as cold as -1 F here according to my own thermometer reading.
    No time in the shop this past week. Took me a while to even dig my way "to the shop" much less make a leisure stroll into the shop to work. No frozen water pipes here but we took every precaution we could to prevent frozen pipes. We've been "there" before and it was very expensive to get resolved.
    I come off of oncall duty in just over 12 hours then I can get life back to normal. Here's to hoping that we continue to thaw out and life gets back to normal very soon here.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, you did get a bit of extra snow for Arkansas for sure!

This past week was also "snow focused" for us, too. Like two storms worth. Aside from that, I did cut a small template for a client on the CNC this past week, but otherwise, I got working on a small refresh of what's been my small office across the way from our master bedroom. It needed paint and the pine floor was damaged from years of office chair movement, despite a carpet being down under the wheels. I got the paint done today and expect the vinyl plank flooring I ordered will be in for pickup tomorrow. Aside from a few other small paint refreshes in the house, this little project is the last "work work" interior thing I need to do prior to us putting this property up for sale once we actually are successful in buying what comes next. The outside stuff has to wait until better weather. I do also have a table project that I need to get back to completing...'just need to make two more leg spindles on the spinny thing, assemble and finish.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not WW related, but very accomplished. Lots of work put in on a sledding hill with my daughters (21 and 24). Friday night we started and we made it 115' or so through 2' of snow and dark. They came back yesterday and we spent 3 hours sliding, digging, sliding, digging, sliding, digging, etc and made it 417' (40' of descent). Top speed on our tube was 11.3mph and top speed on this knee board kinda thing was 14 mph. The longest run on this property in the 48's years I've be out here/coming here.

MEDIC!

I did plane a few walnut boards, build a couple small concrete molds and filled them. So some WW was done.
    Last edited by Jim Fox; 02-22-2021 at 8:27 AM.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

This past week I continued to wrestle with my dust collection set up, and I have approximately 1 million tiny sheet metal cuts on my hands to prove it. That's about it. I also did a lot of research into jointer/planer combo machines, as I believe this will be my next (and by far most expensive) purchase.

Dennis and Jim, you can send that snow our way up north. Yet again, we received very minimal (by our standards) snow.

In the shop, no projects right now, but I am finally beginning to trim out the 2nd floor of our home. Finished up a 104" long face frame for the built-in unit in our bedroom. I also spent some time adding mitered returns to two white oak boards that will trim out the upper edge of the stairway opening.

None of this is exactly shop work, but on the other hand, by the time I mill the various edge profiles and pre-build each window and door casing, I spend a far amount of time in my shop. It is probably overkill, but each casing is doweled and glued up on my assembly table, then sanded and finished prior to install. I should finish in oh....2080 or something like that.

Made the 4 drawer boxes for a cabinet that will go into the cottage renovation. This was my first time using manufactured drawer glides and it was quite a long learning curve! Now I know how to do it and how not to do it! Lol. Also applied 4 coats of waterlox on the top of a chest on chest dresser that has been on hold for longer than I care to say. 🤫

Finished all the glue-up, flattening, scraping, and sanding of my desk tops and have the first two coats of finish on the bottom sides. I've been searching online for decent quality pop up power ports to install in the desks. The kind where it sits below the desk until you need it and then pulls up to let you plug in temporary stuff for AC or USB power. Also will have a brush type grommet for passing cables down into a cable tray and outlet strip below the desk tops for more permanent stuff like the monitors.

Managed to fit in a trip to Hartville Hardware during a break in the weather (although it wasn't that bad here). Fortunate to score a Nova Voyager drill press. They've been on back order and long lead time pretty much everywhere (like a lot of tools these days) but HH actually had two in stock and they were on sale as part of their bi-annual tool sale. Normally for the sale they bring in lots of vendors and factory reps and have a big in-store expo kind of thing, but this year, for obvious reasons, they just have sale pricing on a bunch of stuff. Spent a day getting the drill press unboxed and set up, although I still need to set up some kind of dust collection, and probably build an add-on table. Getting a drill press will finally let me get rid of my old shopsmith which has been doing only drill press duty for a while now and takes up too much space.

Lastly, I have my first vaccine appointment later today. My wife has had both of hers, and I am glad I was able to get an appointment after a couple of weeks of trying once becoming eligible here in OH.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Dennis and Jim, you can send that snow our way up north. Yet again, we received very minimal (by our standards) snow.

In the shop, no projects right now, but I am finally beginning to trim out the 2nd floor of our home. Finished up a 104" long face frame for the built-in unit in our bedroom. I also spent some time adding mitered returns to two white oak boards that will trim out the upper edge of the stairway opening.

None of this is exactly shop work, but on the other hand, by the time I mill the various edge profiles and pre-build each window and door casing, I spend a far amount of time in my shop. It is probably overkill, but each casing is doweled and glued up on my assembly table, then sanded and finished prior to install. I should finish in oh....2080 or something like that.
    Hey Lisa!

I was born and raised up the road in Millcreek! It's neat to see so many folks from PA here.

I bought rough-sawn lumber for the first time ever, 9 bf of 4/4 hard maple from the lumber yard. Will be for cope-and-stick cabinet doors in my shop. Very excited to up my game.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    I bought rough-sawn lumber for the first time ever, 9 bf of 4/4 hard maple from the lumber yard. Will be for cope-and-stick cabinet doors in my shop. Very excited to up my game.
    Very Nice! It is incredibly satisfying to take a rough-sawn piece of lumber and process it into something beautiful. Make sure to post a picture of the doors when you're done!

Decided my measuring tools needed to be more accessible, so whipped up this panel. Of course, it necessitated some rearranging on my tool wall.....Starrett.jpg

My granddaughter asked me to make a stable sign for her horse, Danny.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Made the Woodsmith mortising jig that used plunge router. Been on my to do list for a long time. Don't really need it, just wanted it. Works great. Got log splitter running. My neighbor had three maples taken down on Saturday, and I had tree guys cut a couple logs into fire wood length. Spent better part of Sunday afternoon working on a chainsaw, which still doesn't work.

It was a crazy week for me. My wife was out of state visiting family members and arrived home Tuesday. Wednesday we managed to get our Covid vaccinations. I did manage to complete an adjustable shelf and my first inset door for an end table I am building. I wasn't satisfied with the results of the inset door so I am starting another one tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-23-2021 at 1:15 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Not much woodworking. The most significant accomplishment was to return my 96-year-old dad to his own home three hours away after he'd spent a little more than a month with us recovering from COVID-induced pneumonia. I stopped by a Woodcraft store with him on the way, so at least there were daydreams of woodworking.
    Chuck Taylor